“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Springfield in Livingston Parish, Louisiana — The American South (West South Central)

Carter Plantation

Carter Plantation Marker image. Click for full size.
May 6, 2011
1. Carter Plantation Marker
Inscription.  A Spanish land grant acquired by James Rheims in 1804. Thomas Freeman, fmc, built "Sycamore" 1817-1820.

Colonel William Breed, first sheriff of Livingston Parish, purchased estate in 1838.

George Richardson acquired the property in 1856, which he renamed for his son-in-law, Judge Marcus T. Carter. Their descendents still occupy the property.
Erected 1979 by Edward Livingston Historical Association, Inc.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: AgricultureLaw EnforcementSettlements & Settlers. A significant historical year for this entry is 1804.
Location. 30° 24.982′ N, 90° 34.457′ W. Marker is in Springfield, Louisiana, in Livingston Parish. It is in . Marker is at the intersection of Carter Cemetery Road and Carter Trace (Route 1038), on the right when traveling east on Carter Cemetery Road. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 23830 Carter Cemetery Rd, Springfield LA 70462, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 8 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Springfield Cemetery Cannon (approx. 1.7 miles away); Springfield's Role in West Florida Revolution
Carter Plantation image. Click for full size.
May 6, 2011
2. Carter Plantation
Click or scan to see
this page online
(approx. 1.7 miles away); Springfield (approx. 1.8 miles away); Haynes Settlement (approx. 2.1 miles away); Hungarian Settlement (approx. 4.4 miles away); Albany, Louisiana (approx. 5.9 miles away); Centerville, Louisiana (approx. 6.7 miles away); PFC Raymond "Mike" Clausen, Jr. (approx. 7.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Springfield.
Credits. This page was last revised on February 2, 2020. It was originally submitted on July 24, 2015. This page has been viewed 457 times since then and 12 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on July 24, 2015. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.
Editor’s want-list for this marker. A wide view of the marker and the surrounding area in context. • Can you help?

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
Paid Advertisements

Jan. 29, 2023