Historical District in Alexandria, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
The Jean E. Keith Memorial
On March 27, 1979, the City of Alexandria designated the Lyceum as a memorial to Jean E. Keith to commemorate his dedication to the restoration and preservation of this building and many others within the city. His outstanding and unselfish devotion to the cause of historic preservation has made a lasting contribution to the protection of Alexandria’s unique architectural heritage.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Architecture • Arts, Letters, Music • Charity & Public Work • Education Entertainment • Industry & Commerce • Science & Medicine • War, US Civil. In addition, it is included in the Former U.S. Presidents: #06 John Quincy Adams series list. A significant historical month for this entry is March 1861.
Location. 38° 48.224′ N, 77° 2.848′ W. Marker is in the Historical District in Alexandria, Virginia. Marker is on South Washington Street (Virginia Route 400) south of Prince Street, on the right when traveling south. Marker is on the wall at the entrance doors. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 201 S Washington St, Alexandria VA 22314, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Patton-Fowle House (within shouting distance of this marker); Swann-Daingerfield House (within shouting distance of this marker); The Methodist Episcopal Congregation of Alexandria (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Bayne-Fowle House (about 500 feet away); The Alexandria Lyceum (about 500 feet away); Portner's (about 500 feet away); Timberman Brothers (about 500 feet away); Dr. Bernard Stier, O.D. (1930-2005) (about 500 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Historical District.
Regarding The Lyceum.
Also see . . . What is a ‘Lyceum’. “By 1839, the popularity of these programs had grown so that The Alexandria Lyceum sought to construct a new hall which would better suit its needs. Joining his organization with the older Alexandria Library Company in this venture, Hallowell guided the construction. A significant sign of the new lyceum’s popularity is the fact that, though the country was in the midst of an economic depression, the work was financed through the sale of stock subscriptions at $25 per share.” (Submitted on June 28, 2008.)
Credits. This page was last revised on April 17, 2020. It was originally submitted on June 28, 2008, by J. J. Prats of Powell, Ohio. This page has been viewed 1,924 times since then and 5 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on June 28, 2008, by J. J. Prats of Powell, Ohio.