Near Big Spring in Howard County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
W.T. ("Uncle Bud") Roberts
(1849 - 1940)
When buffalo hunters told of free range farther west, they decided to make a fresh start in Howard County, becoming its first permanent settlers in 1877. They built a dugout and homesteaded at Moss Springs near Signal Peak until forced out by rival land claimants. The Roberts family relocated about 1.5 miles away on Moss Creek, promptly filing a claim on this land 1883.
They had the first wire fence and the first water well in the county. Enduring many hardships, they attained success, and gradually acquired 12 sections of land. Four of Roberts' seven children reached maturity. The family raised Whiteface Hereford cattle and fine Morgan saddle horses. The Roberts "B 5 Bar" brand on a horse was for many years the supreme guarantee of quality. "Uncle Bud" died on his
Erected 1976 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 14468.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Agriculture • War, US Civil. A significant historical year for this entry is 1870.
Location. 32° 14.378′ N, 101° 21.582′ W. Marker is near Big Spring, Texas, in Howard County. Marker is on South Moss Lake Road, 2˝ miles south of Interstate 20, on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Big Spring TX 79720, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 7 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Big Spring School District (approx. 6.1 miles away); First Christian Church (approx. 6.4 miles away); Settles Hotel (approx. 6.8 miles away); The Seventh Earl of Aylesford (approx. 6.9 miles away); First National Bank in Big Spring (approx. 6.9 miles away); Howard County (approx. 6.9 miles away); Route of Marcy’s Trail (approx. 6.9 miles away); A Historical Big Spring Meat Market (approx. 7 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Big Spring.
Credits. This page was last revised on December 21, 2019. It was originally submitted on August 3, 2015, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. This page has been viewed 379 times since then and 44 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on August 3, 2015, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.