Atlanta in DeKalb County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
Historic Ground --1864
In an area bound by Memorial Dr., Clifton, Glenwood & Moreland, was where the major part of the Battle of Atlanta was fought, July 22d.
In terms of present landmarks, the battle began at Memorial Dr. & Clifton where Hardee's right wing (CS) was repulsed in an unexpected clash with Sweeny's 16th A.C. div. (US) This was followed by an assault of Hardee's left wing which crushed the left of the 17th A.C. at Flat Shoals Road & Glenwood & dislodged the right of the 16th A.C., forcing them north to a second line at & east of Leggett's Hill - eight hours of battle in which two major generals, Walker and McPherson, were killed.
Erected 1956 by Georgia Historical Commission. (Marker Number 044-68.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: War, US Civil. In addition, it is included in the Georgia Historical Society series list. A significant historical date for this entry is July 22, 1864.
Location. 33° 44.644′ N, 84° 20.481′ W. Marker is in Atlanta, Georgia, in DeKalb County. Marker is at the intersection of McPherson AvenueTouch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Atlanta GA 30316, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Death of McPherson (here, next to this marker); Cleburne's Div. in the Federal Rear (approx. 0.2 miles away); Gresham's Division (approx. ¼ mile away); McPherson's Last Ride (approx. ¼ mile away); Cleburne Outflanked Left Wing, 17th A.C. (approx. 0.3 miles away); Mersy’s Brigade (approx. 0.4 miles away); Wheeler's Cav. Intrenched (approx. half a mile away); Leggett's Hill (approx. half a mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Atlanta.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 8, 2020. It was originally submitted on July 2, 2008, by Felch Dumas of Decatur, Georgia. This page has been viewed 1,584 times since then and 39 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on July 2, 2008, by Felch Dumas of Decatur, Georgia. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.