Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Atlanta in Fulton County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

The Troup Hurt House

 
 
The Troup Hurt House Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Felch Dumas, July 1, 2008
1. The Troup Hurt House Marker
This view is facing south towards Dekalb Ave (described on the marker as Decatur Rd)
Inscription.  The Plantation house of Geo. M.T. Hurt, begun the Summer of 1862, never completed & never occupied as a residence, stood on the site of the stone church. It faced the Decatur Rd. July 18, 1864. A sector of the outer line of Atlanta's defense works was located just E. of the house, which was used as h'dq'rs by the 10th S. Carolina regt., (CS) of Manigault's brigade. July 22. The same troops, having withdrawn to the city the night before, returned late afternoon & attacked the Federal forces occupying the position, capturing & holding it until driven out. This is the moment shown in the Cyclorama of the Battle of Atlanta.
 
Erected 1956 by Georgia Historical Commission. (Marker Number 060-97.)
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: War, US Civil. In addition, it is included in the Georgia Historical Society series list. A significant historical date for this entry is July 18, 1864.
 
Location. 33° 45.563′ N, 84° 21.137′ W. Marker is in Atlanta, Georgia, in Fulton County. Marker is on Degress Avenue NE, 0.1 miles north of Dekalb Avenue
The Troup Hurt House Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Felch Dumas, July 1, 2008
2. The Troup Hurt House Marker
This view is facing North East and shows both the marker in the foreground and the stone former church, now a private residence, in the distance.
Click or scan to see
this page online
NE, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Atlanta GA 30307, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Manigault's Brigade (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Railroad Cut (about 400 feet away); The DeGress Battery (about 400 feet away); Site: The Pope House (about 600 feet away); Federal Signal Station (about 800 feet away); Restoring the Line (approx. 0.3 miles away); Baker's Brigade (approx. 0.4 miles away); Springvale Park (approx. 0.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Atlanta.
 
The stone former Church image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Felch Dumas, July 1, 2008
3. The stone former Church
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on November 16, 2020. It was originally submitted on July 2, 2008, by Felch Dumas of Decatur, Georgia. This page has been viewed 2,630 times since then and 229 times this year. Last updated on July 6, 2008, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on July 2, 2008, by Felch Dumas of Decatur, Georgia. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=8885

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
Paid Advertisements
 
 

Dec. 2, 2022