Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”

Mechanicsville in St. Mary's County, Maryland — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

"Three Notch Road"

 
 
"Three Notch Road" Marker image. Click for full size.
By Tom Fuchs, July 1, 2008
1. "Three Notch Road" Marker
Inscription.  
A law of 1704 provides that
"three notches of equal distance"
marked on the trees indicated"
a road leading to a ferry.
"Two notches with another notch
a distance above the other two"
a road to a court house.
"a slip cut down the face
of a tree near the ground"
a road to a church.

 
Erected by State Roads Commission.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Colonial EraRoads & Vehicles.
 
Location. 38° 24.655′ N, 76° 40.579′ W. Marker is in Mechanicsville, Maryland, in St. Mary's County. Marker is on Three Notch Road (Maryland Route 235) near Laurel Grove Road. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Mechanicsville MD 20659, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 6 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Three Notch Trail (approx. 0.4 miles away); a different marker also named Three Notch Road (approx. 1.1 miles away); De La Brooke Manor (approx. 1.7 miles away); Tobacco Barns (approx. 1.7 miles away); Forest Hall
"Three Notch Road" Marker image. Click for full size.
By Allen C. Browne, January 9, 2015
2. "Three Notch Road" Marker
(approx. 2˝ miles away); Extending the Rail (approx. 3.3 miles away); Village of Mechanicsville (approx. 4.2 miles away); Fenwick Manor (approx. 5.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Mechanicsville.
 
Also see . . .  Maryland 235. — Wikipedia “Three Notch Road has been the main highway between northern St. Mary's County and Point Lookout since the colonial era. The highway was reconstructed as the modern MD 235 between 1923 and 1938.” (Submitted on March 19, 2015.) 
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on August 18, 2019. It was originally submitted on July 7, 2008, by Tom Fuchs of Greenbelt, Maryland. This page has been viewed 2,999 times since then and 46 times this year. Photos:   1. submitted on July 7, 2008, by Tom Fuchs of Greenbelt, Maryland.   2. submitted on March 19, 2015, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland.
 
Editor’s want-list for this marker. A wide shot of the marker and its surroundings. • Can you help?
Paid Advertisement
Sep. 26, 2020