Grenada in Grenada County, Mississippi — The American South (East South Central)
Erected 1954 by Mississippi Department of Archives and History.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: War, US Civil • Waterways & Vessels. In addition, it is included in the Former U.S. Presidents: #18 Ulysses S. Grant, and the Mississippi State Historical Marker Program series lists. A significant historical year for this entry is 1862.
Location. 33° 47.299′ N, 89° 46.083′ W. Marker is in Grenada, Mississippi, in Grenada County. Marker is at the intersection of Loop State Highway 333 and E J Henry Road, on the right when traveling north on State Highway 333. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 2088 Scenic Route 333, Grenada MS 38901, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. J. Augustine Signaigo (approx. 1.7 miles away); Grenada Depot (approx. 1.8 miles away); Grenada County Confederate Monument (approx. 2 miles away); a different marker J. Augustine Signaigo (approx. 2 miles away); Grenada Blues (approx. 2 miles away); Edward C. Walthall (approx. 2.1 miles away); Belle Flower M.B. Church (approx. 2.4 miles away); Magic Slim (approx. 2.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Grenada.
Regarding Confederate Fort. Two forts were built in anticipation of a battle being fought on the Yalobusha River when General Grant was advancing down the Mississippi Central Railroad. They can be viewed and markers are present to show sonic interpretations of the fort sites. Five other Civil War Forts exist on private property. One fort has been restored while the others remain in its natural condition.
The City of Grenada served as a vital rail center and supply depot during the American Civil War. Following the Union victories at Shiloh in Tennessee and Corinth in northeast Mississippi, General John C. Pemberton, commanding the Confederate forces, established a strong defensive line, known as the Yalobusha Line, along the railroad that ran from Greenwood, Mississippi to Columbus, Mississippi. Pemberton used the Yalobusha Line to block Union General
If it were not for the success of Confederate General Earl Van Dorn’s infamous Confederate Calvary Raid on Grant’s Supply Depot in Holly Springs, Mississippi, a major Civil War Battle most certainly would have taken place at Grenada.
Also see . . . Grant's Mississippi Central Railroad Campaign and the defense of Vicksburg. (Submitted on October 23, 2015, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.)
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on October 23, 2015, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. This page has been viewed 570 times since then and 67 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on October 23, 2015, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.