Ringgold in Catoosa County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
The Whitman House
This house of handmade brick was built about 1863 by Mr. William L. Whitman, prominent merchant of Ringgold. After the Battle of Ringgold General U. S. Grant established his headquarters here. When he and his staff were leaving he offered Mrs. Whitman pay for lodging in $50.00 U.S. greenbacks but she asked for Confederate money instead. Gen. Grant is said to have remarked, 'She certainly is not whipped yet,' and his soldiers cheered her as they left. The Whitman family watched the fiercest part of the fight around the depot from upstairs windows.
Erected 1955 by Georgia Historical Commission. (Marker Number 023-10.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Industry & Commerce • War, US Civil • Women. In addition, it is included in the Georgia Historical Society series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1863.
Location. 34° 55.075′ N, 85° 6.528′ W. Marker is in Ringgold, Georgia, in Catoosa County. Marker is at the intersection of Tennessee Street (Georgia Route 151) and High Street Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 309 Tennessee Street, Ringgold, Ringgold GA 30736, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Actions At Ringgold (within shouting distance of this marker); Confederate Hospitals (approx. 0.2 miles away); Catoosa County (approx. 0.2 miles away); Catoosa County War Memorial (approx. 0.2 miles away); Flame of Freedom (approx. 0.2 miles away); Battle of Chickamauga (approx. 0.2 miles away); Western & Atlantic Depot (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Ringgold Depot (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Ringgold.
Also see . . . Ringgold. New Georgia Encyclopedia website entry (Submitted on July 13, 2008, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.)
Credits. This page was last revised on October 7, 2021. It was originally submitted on July 11, 2008, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 2,381 times since then and 156 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on July 11, 2008, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.