Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Tyler in Smith County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

Oakwood Cemetery

 
 
Oakwood Cemetery Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Randal B. Gilbert, December 13, 2015
1. Oakwood Cemetery Marker
Inscription.  Originally called Lollar's Cemetery and later City Cemetery, this burial ground was located on land purchased by John Lollar in 1846. Five acres were reserved for cemetery use when Lollar sold his land to John Madison Patterson in 1849. Burials began in the 1840s, but many early gravestones have been lost. The oldest marked grave is that of four-year-old P.M. Scott, who died in 1852. The graves of numerous Confederate soldiers, who died in the Civil War (1861-1865), are situated in a raised section east of Central Drive. In another separate portion is the Jewish Beth-El Cemetery, where the oldest grave is that of 19-year-old Rachel Wolinsky, who died in 1884.

In 1903, additional land was acquired and the cemetery renamed Oakwood. City officials hired William A. Woldert (1885-1937) to map the grounds, locate old graves, and lay out more walkways. Further improvements were made by WPA labor in the 1930s, when Oakwood was again enlarged. By the 1970s, the burial ground contained 19.5 acres with over 2,000 marked graves.

Many of Tyler's most prominent citizens are buried here, including Judge Stockton P. Donley (1821-1871),
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
Texas Supreme Court Justice; and Governor Richard B. Hubbard (1832-1901), who also served as U.S. Ambassador to Japan.
 
Erected 1978 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 7746.)
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Cemeteries & Burial SitesGovernment & PoliticsSettlements & SettlersWar, US Civil.
 
Location. 32° 21.2′ N, 95° 18.533′ W. Marker is in Tyler, Texas, in Smith County. Marker can be reached from the intersection of West Line Street and North Ellis Avenue. The marker is approximately 260 feet west of the Line St gate. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 700 West Line Street, Tyler TX 75702, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Richard Bennett Hubbard (within shouting distance of this marker); Judge Stockton P. Donley (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); First Baptist Church of Tyler (approx. 0.4 miles away); Marvin Methodist Church (approx. 0.4 miles away); The Patterson Home (approx. 0.4 miles away); Christ Episcopal Church (approx. 0.4 miles away); Tyler Public Library (approx. 0.4 miles away); Hampson Boren Gary (approx. 0.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Tyler.
 
Regarding Oakwood Cemetery.
Oakwood Cemetery Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Randal B. Gilbert, December 13, 2015
2. Oakwood Cemetery Marker
This is an old cemetery and the driveways are very narrow. The cemetery has electric gates that lock at dusk and open at dawn.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on July 19, 2016. It was originally submitted on December 13, 2015, by Randal B. Gilbert of Tyler, Texas. This page has been viewed 477 times since then and 36 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on December 13, 2015, by Randal B. Gilbert of Tyler, Texas. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=91543

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Apr. 13, 2024