San Antonio in Bexar County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Founding of the Mission and Origin of Name
During Mexico’s war for independence from Spain, a company of Spanish soldiers from Alamo del Parras, Coahuila, Mexico, occupied the abandoned mission, using its buildings as barracks for a number of years. From this association probably originated the name, “Alamo.”
According to some historians, the name “Alamo” was derived from a grove of cottonwood trees growing
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Churches & Religion • Native Americans • War, Texas Independence • Wars, Non-US. In addition, it is included in the El Camino Real de los Tejas National Historic Trail series list.
Location. 29° 25.545′ N, 98° 29.191′ W. Marker is in San Antonio, Texas, in Bexar County. Marker can be reached from Alamo Plaza. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 300 Alamo Plaza, San Antonio TX 78205, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Letter From The Alamo (here, next to this marker); The Birthplace of Freemasonry in West Texas (a few steps from this marker); Masonic Heroes of the Alamo (a few steps from this marker); The Alamo in 1836 (a few steps from this marker); The Alamo 1900 (a few steps from this marker); Part of the San Antonio de Valero Mission (a few steps from this marker); Lt. Col. William Barret Travis (a few steps from this marker); Ruins of the Habitations of the Friars and Indians (a few steps from this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in San Antonio.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on July 16, 2008, by Kathy Walker of Stafford, Virginia. This page has been viewed 3,197 times since then and 3 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on July 16, 2008, by Kathy Walker of Stafford, Virginia. • J. J. Prats was the editor who published this page.