Located about three miles northeast of Chanute on the eastern riverbank at a ford now known as Brown Wells Dam the town of Osage City sprang up in 1856. A man named John Beck and others came to the area from the Tioga River basin in New York. Beck owned a trading post and operated a sawmill until 1860. An Indian agent named Darius Rogers later owned a store there and was good friends with the Osage Indians wich [sic] had a village about one mile south of town. Another man named S.E. Beach operated a ferry on the river which carried settlers across who had headed west. Roger and Beach were responsible for establishing Neosho County's first county seat there in 1864. They applied for a post office but were denied because there was already a town in Kansas under that name. So they changed the name to Roger Mills in 1865. On June 10th, 1870 the 80 acre plat for the town of Tioga was filed by the towns people of Osage City and many buildings were re-located to the current site of Chanute. This marked the end of Osage City Rogers Mills. This stone marker was set at the old town site in 1922 and re-located here in the fall of 2006 by the City
Thanks to Nathan Ward, Bill Slane, Jim Whaley, Dan McMillan, Chanute City Manager Office
Osage City Founded 1856
County Seat 1864-1867
Rogers Mills P.O.
1865 - 1870
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Industry & Commerce • Native Americans • Settlements & Settlers • Waterways & Vessels. A significant historical year for this entry is 1856.
Location. 37° 39.432′ N, 95° 27.206′ W. Marker is in Chanute, Kansas, in Neosho County. Marker is at the intersection of Santa Fe Avenue and Little Turkey Creek, on the right when traveling south on Santa Fe Avenue. Markers are near the NW approach to the relocated Austin Bridge. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: Santa Fe Park, Chanute KS 66720, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Austin Bridge (within shouting distance of this marker); Chanute Area Veterans Memorial (approx. 0.7 miles away); Civil War Memorial (approx. 0.9 miles away); War Memorial (approx. 1.6 miles away); Octave Chanute and "The Problem of The Ages" (approx. 1.7 miles away); Octave Chanute and the Founding of the Town of ChanuteOctave Chanute's Progress in Flying Machines (approx. 1.7 miles away); Thoughts on a Successful Flying Machine (approx. 1.7 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Chanute.
Regarding Osage City. "About the year 1865 Stephen E. Beach established a ferry three eighths of a mile south of a small trading post called 'Osage City.' This 'city' consisted of one little log house. The ferry was located about two and one half miles east of Chanute, and was operated until 1871, ceasing on completion of the bridge east of Chanute. Mr. Beach hung a cable across the river, attaching it to a large tree on either side of the stream. One of the trees so used still stands on the west bank of the river. 'This was the first ferry in the county, regularly established, with a cable, so far as I know.," wrote Mr. J.J. Hurt, of Chanute. Osage City was later changed to Rogers' Mills, as there were six post offices of that name in Kansas.'
(Submitted on January 20, 2016, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
Excerpt from "Ferries in Kansas, Part VIII, Neosho River, Concluded" by George A. Root, in the Kansas Historical Quarterly, November 1935 (Vol. 4, No. 4).
Also see . . . Kansas Post Offices, 1828-1961
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on January 20, 2016, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 629 times since then and 191 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on January 20, 2016, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.