Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Coraopolis in Allegheny County, Pennsylvania — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Fort Vance

 
 
Fort Vance Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Mike Wintermantel, April 3, 2016
1. Fort Vance Marker
Inscription.  Near this site stood Fort Vance, a settlers fort built during the French and Indian War era by Revolutionary War Captain Robert Vance. Robert Vance was a member of the Virginia Regiment of the Colonial Army, under the command of George Washington, during the French and Indian War.

Vance constructed a blockhouse, and later a stockade, for the protection of settlers moving westward from Pittsburgh (blockhouse circa 1759-1765). The fort and the hamlet that developed near it became the first westward community post of the French and Indian War. The fort, which stood through the Revolutionary War, was located between Broadway, Chestnut Street, Second Avenue and the railroad. In the great history of the United States, Fort Vance is truly where the west began.
 
Erected by Coraopolis Historical Society.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Native AmericansSettlements & SettlersWar, French and IndianWar, US Revolutionary.
 
Location. 40° 30.941′ N, 80° 9.698′ 
Fort Vance Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Mike Wintermantel, April 3, 2016
2. Fort Vance Marker
Click or scan to see
this page online
W. Marker is in Coraopolis, Pennsylvania, in Allegheny County. Marker is at the intersection of State Avenue and School Street on State Avenue. Located at the Coraopolis Library. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Coraopolis PA 15108, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Count Noble / Mildmay Park Beauty (approx. 1.1 miles away); Mooncrest (approx. 1.6 miles away); Glenfield War Memorial (approx. 1.7 miles away); Dravo Corporation Shipyard (approx. 1.7 miles away); Old Sewickley Post Office (approx. 1.9 miles away); Depreciation Lands Survey (approx. 1.9 miles away); Sewickley Public Library (approx. 1.9 miles away); Flatiron Building (approx. 1.9 miles away).
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on April 3, 2016, by Mike Wintermantel of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 870 times since then and 177 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on April 3, 2016, by Mike Wintermantel of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=93567

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
Paid Advertisements
 
 

Oct. 3, 2022