Women's Heritage Trail
— Kearny Cottage —
The house, built around 1784, is a simple two-and-one-half story clapboard frame building with a lean-to addition that gives it its present saltbox appearance. She married Michael Kearny on June 30, 1774 and died in “The Cottage” on July 22, 1802.
“Elizabeth Lawrence-Kearny’s intimate friends included prominent people in the arts and one ardent admirer wrote: ‘She occupies the highest seat on Parnassus’”.
From Lawrence Kearny, Sailor Diplomat by Carroll Storrs Alden, Head of the Department of English and
(Inscription in the two boxes on the left)
Top box: Kearny Cottage, the former home of poet Elizabeth Lawrence, is on the New Jersey Women’s Heritage Trail in recognition of her creative and innovative contributions to cultural and literary life in Colonial Perth Amboy City.
Bottom box: The New Jersey Women’s Heritage Trail highlights a collection of historic sites located around the state that represent the significant contributions women made to the history of our state. The Heritage Trail brings to life the vital role of women in New Jersey’s past and present.
Erected by New Jersey Historic Trust-Historic Preservation Office.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Arts, Letters, Music • Colonial Era • War, US Revolutionary • Women. A significant historical date for this entry is June 30, 1774.
Location. 40° 30.042′ N, 74° 16.328′ W. Marker is in Perth Amboy, New Jersey, in Middlesex County. Marker is on Catalpa Avenue. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 63 Catalpa Avenue, Perth Amboy NJ 08861, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Kearny Cottage (here, next to this marker); Kearny Cottage: Historic Home (here, next to this marker); a different marker also named Kearny Cottage
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on April 16, 2016, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Maryland. This page has been viewed 290 times since then and 30 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on April 16, 2016, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Maryland. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.