Crawfordsville in Montgomery County, Indiana — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Elston Memorial Home
Col. Isaac C. Elston Home
Small Upper Brass Plaque - by Front Door:
This property is listed in the National Register of Historic Places. United States Department of Interior.
Large Middle - Brass Plaque
In Memory of the Soldiers of the Revolutionary War of 1776 Buried in Montgomery County
Jacob Miller Alexander Foster Sebastion Stonebraker Presly Sims Samuel Gregory John Hardee William Mason John McNulty James McArthur Samuel Newell Robert Gott John Snoddy
Erected 1904 by the Dorothy Q. Chapter Daughters of the American Revolution - Crawfordsville, Indiana
Lower Brass Plaque
Joseph Alexander Frederick Armentrout John Boyd Christopher Brant George Fruits Samuel Harshbarger Gillis Hitch Robert Potterger James White Benjamin Willis George Washburn John Stillwell
Erected by United States Department of the Interior, Dorothy Q. Chapter Daughters of the American Revolution.
Topics and series. This historical marker Abolition & Underground RR • Civil Rights • Patriots & Patriotism. In addition, it is included in the Daughters of the American Revolution (DAR) series list.
Location. 40° 2.385′ N, 86° 53.805′ W. Marker is in Crawfordsville, Indiana, in Montgomery County. Marker is on East Wabash Avenue, on the left when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 400 East Wabash Avenue, Crawfordsville IN 47933, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Elston Homestead (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Henry S. Lane (about 400 feet away); Major General Lew Wallace (about 500 feet away); Saint John's Episcopal Church (approx. 0.2 miles away); Howdy Wilcox (approx. Ό mile away); Crawfordsville (Indiana) Carnegie Library (approx. Ό mile away); Federal Land Office (approx. Ό mile away); Wabash Avenue Presbyterian Church (approx. Ό mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Crawfordsville.
Regarding Elston Memorial Home. In 1926, an agreement with Isaac C. Elston, III,
The house was appraised at $12,000. The chapter was to pay $2,000.00 down, as well as spend $600.00 a year on repairs and improvements for a period of five years. The $2,000.00 down payment was contributed by members, friends, and townspeople. Many projects were completed for the $600.00 per year requirement, including serving a high school senior banquet, as well as other meals for profit, ice cream socials on the lawn, card parties, candy sales, rummage sales, and Thanksgiving dinners. Rooms were rented in the house, a mile of pennies, and items sold such as brooms, pecans, vanilla, and bridge tallies. August 26, 1926 was the first meeting in the new chapter house. A committee, named The Elston Memorial House Board was incorporated in 1928, and was established to see that the home is well taken care of.
The year the house was 100 years old, 1982, it was accepted on the National Register of Historic Places. The original colors of the house were red with green trim.
[Source: History of the Dorothy Q Chapter, NSDAR from the provided link.]
Credits. This page was last revised on July 15, 2019. It was originally submitted on July 21, 2008, by Al Wolf of Veedersburg, Indiana. This page has been viewed 2,364 times since then and 86 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on July 21, 2008, by Al Wolf of Veedersburg, Indiana. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.