Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Near Charles City in Charles City County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
REMOVED
SEE LOCATION SECTION
 

Evelynton

 
 
Evelynton Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Kathy Walker, August 3, 2007
1. Evelynton Marker
Inscription.  Originally part of William Byrd's Westover, Evelynton has been occupied by the Ruffin family since 1847, when it was purchased by Edmund Ruffin, Jr. Fierce skirmishes took place on the property during the 1862 Peninsula Campaign. Confederate troops were led by generals J. E. B. Stuart and James Longstreet. The breastworks are still visible near the house. The dwelling and dependencies of the plantation were much damaged during the fighting. The Georgian-Revival house, built on the foundation of an earlier structure, was designed by noted architect, Duncan Lee in 1935.
 
Erected 1985 by Department of Conservation and Historic Resources. (Marker Number V-22.)
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: AgricultureSettlements & SettlersWar, US Civil. In addition, it is included in the Virginia Department of Historic Resources (DHR) series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1847.
 
Location. This marker has been replaced by another marker nearby. It was located near 37° 
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
19.898′ N, 77° 8.872′ W. Marker was near Charles City, Virginia, in Charles City County. Marker was on John Tyler Memorial Highway (Virginia Route 5) 1.8 miles east of Harrison Landing Road, on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker was in this post office area: Charles City VA 23030, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this location, measured as the crow flies. A different marker also named Evelynton (approx. 0.3 miles away); Westover Church (approx. 0.6 miles away); a different marker also named Westover Church (approx. 0.7 miles away); Salem Church (approx. 1.1 miles away); Richmond Condita (approx. 1.4 miles away); Westover (approx. 1.4 miles away); Westover Plantation (approx. 1.4 miles away); Herring Creek (approx. 1.9 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Charles City.
 
Related marker. Click here for another marker that is related to this marker. This marker has replaced the linked marker which had slightly different content.
 
Evelynton, Charles City County image. Click for full size.
National Register of Historic Places
2. Evelynton, Charles City County
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 26, 2021. It was originally submitted on July 21, 2008, by Kathy Walker of Stafford, Virginia. This page has been viewed 1,571 times since then and 51 times this year. Photos:   1. submitted on July 21, 2008, by Kathy Walker of Stafford, Virginia.   2. submitted on June 2, 2010, by Bernard Fisher of Richmond, Virginia. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.
 
Editor’s want-list for this marker. Photos of the earthworks. • A wide shot of this iteration of the marker in context. • Can you help?

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=9404

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
May. 29, 2024