Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Charles City in Charles City County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
 

New Hope & Court House

Charles City County, Virginia

 
 
New Hope & Court House Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Kathy Walker, August 3, 2007
1. New Hope & Court House Marker
Inscription.  Since the establishment of the Court House during the mid-eighteenth century, this area has served as a community center for the entire county. During the Revolution and Civil War the area was the site of military encampments. A tavern built in the colonial era was destroyed by fire and replaced by a house and store, first owned by Nances and later the Majors. Landmarks in the Court House area have included a blacksmith shop, county jail, post office (est. 1803), Hubbard's Store, Greenway School, Charles City Charity School (est. 1810) and Charles City High School (est. 1924). Prominent are homes include Greenway, Mons Sacre, Wood Park and the Brown-Jones House. The area east of the Glebe Creek was known as New Hope. Area landmarks have included the store of Fielding Lewis, the Glebe Lane School, Waddill's Mill and Haupt's Store, earlier known as Major's Store. Prominent area homes include Belle Air, "The Glebe" of Westover Parish, Little Glebe, Bush Hill, the home of several doctors and Millford, the home of Edmund Waddill, a longtime Clerk of the Court.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Colonial Era
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
War, US CivilWar, US Revolutionary.
 
Location. 37° 20.605′ N, 77° 3.994′ W. Marker is in Charles City, Virginia, in Charles City County. Marker is on John Tyler Memorial Highway (State Highway 5) 2.8 miles east of Wilcox Wharf Road (County Route 618), on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Charles City VA 23030, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Charles City Court House (approx. ¼ mile away); Isaac Brandon Lynched, 6 April 1892 (approx. 0.3 miles away); America’s 3rd Oldest Courthouse (approx. 0.3 miles away); John Tyler (approx. 0.3 miles away); Three Courthouse Essentials (approx. 0.3 miles away); Confederate Memorial (approx. 0.3 miles away); Shifting Ground (approx. 0.3 miles away); Veterans Memorial (approx. 0.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Charles City.
 
John Tyler Memorial Hwy (facing east). image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Bernard Fisher, March 28, 2009
2. John Tyler Memorial Hwy (facing east).
Charles City County Courthouse & Clerk's Office image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Bernard Fisher, March 28, 2009
3. Charles City County Courthouse & Clerk's Office
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on February 3, 2020. It was originally submitted on July 22, 2008, by Kathy Walker of Stafford, Virginia. This page has been viewed 1,347 times since then and 37 times this year. Photos:   1. submitted on July 22, 2008, by Kathy Walker of Stafford, Virginia.   2. submitted on April 7, 2009, by Bernard Fisher of Richmond, Virginia.   3. submitted on June 2, 2010, by Bernard Fisher of Richmond, Virginia. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.
 
Editor’s want-list for this marker. Photos of the other locations mentioned on the marker. • Can you help?

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=9429

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
May. 18, 2024