Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
St. Mary's City in St. Mary's County, Maryland — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

The St. Mary’s Chapel

Maryland’s First Brick Church

 
 
The St. Mary’s Chapel Marker image. Click for full size.
By Don Morfe, May 15, 1999
1. The St. Mary’s Chapel Marker
Inscription.  The St. Mary’s Chapel, built about 1667, was Maryland’s first major brick building. The structure was built in the form of a cross, 55 feet long and 57 feet wide at the arms of the cross. In frontier Maryland, where most settlers lived in humble wood cottages, this was a remarkable building. All that remains of the chapel is its massive brick foundation, measuring three feet wide and five feet deep.

There are hundreds of unmarked graves in and around the chapel. This site was cemetery for St. Mary’s City the earliest years of settlement. Many of Maryland’s founders lie here in long-forgotten graves. In 1990, three lead coffins were discovered buried in the left arm or transept of the cross-shaped building. These are the first 17th-century lead coffins found by archaeologist in North America.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Cemeteries & Burial SitesChurches & ReligionColonial Era. A significant historical year for this entry is 1667.
 
Location. 38° 11.234′ N, 76° 26.078′ W. Marker is in St. Mary's City, Maryland, in St. Mary's County. Marker is on Trinity

The St. Mary’s Chapel Marker image. Click for full size.
By Don Morfe, May 15, 1999
2. The St. Mary’s Chapel Marker
Click or scan to see
this page online
Church Road. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Saint Marys City MD 20686, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Sharing Land and Legacy (a few steps from this marker); Saint Mary's Female Seminary (within shouting distance of this marker); After the Disastrous Fire (within shouting distance of this marker); “…a convenient place for the administration of Justice.” (within shouting distance of this marker); The Gift of the Society of the Ark and the Dove (within shouting distance of this marker); Trinity Church, St. Mary’s Parish (within shouting distance of this marker); Leonard Calvert (within shouting distance of this marker); Entrance to First State House of Maryland (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line). Touch for a list and map of all markers in St. Mary's City.
 
Sign at the entrance to St Mary's City image. Click for full size.
By Don Morfe, May 15, 1999
3. Sign at the entrance to St Mary's City
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on April 29, 2016, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Maryland. This page has been viewed 200 times since then and 4 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on April 29, 2016, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Maryland. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.

Share This Page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=94324

Paid Advertisement
Jun. 22, 2021