Part Of The Bay Heritage
(Left side of the marker)
Much of the early history of Thomas Point still lies buried under sand and water at its ever-eroding shoreline. Evidence does exist, however, that Native Americans enjoyed the bounty of the Bay’s seafood sometime between 200 AD and 1500 AD. Large piles of oysters and other shellfish remains, known as middens, still mark the sites of those early harvests and feasts.
The first white man known to settle the area was English merchant Philip Thomas, who owned many acres along what as then the shore of Anne Arundel Bay. Among the land parcels he was granted between 1658 and 1668 was a 165-acre tract called “Fuller Point.” which later became Thomas Point. Thomas died in 1675 and was buried at the “Old Quaker Burial Ground” in Galesville, several miles from here in southern Anne Arundel County. His children later divided the estate.
Ownership of Thomas Point changed several times from then until 1824, when the U.S. government paid $529 for a 7-acre parcel on which to build a lighthouse. Eventually, private interests bought back what remained of the 7-acres in 1914.
On the small farm that occupied Thomas Point at the time, the only crop known to have been grown was corn, which was probably raised to attract ducks. A small log cabin, which now serves as the park office and the park ranger’s residence, was the hunting lodge for the duck club. This building still stands at Thomas Point, and the names of some prominent members of the duck club can be found carved into the frame of the cabin’s 8-foot fireplace.
The duck club used the hunting lodge for 30 years, before it sold the property to Ferdinand C. and Jane Homer Lee in 1947.
Between 1960 and 1963, the Lees deeded their 44-acres to Anne Arundel County in four parcels at a price of $5.00 each with the stipulation that the property be used for recreation and conservation purpose. Thanks to their generosity, thousands of visitors each year have enjoyed the natural beauty of the park. And thousands more will see this part of the Chesapeake much the way Philip Thomas saw it over 300 years ago.
(Right side of the marker)
The Thomas Point Lighthouse: A Bay Landmark. One of the most familiar landmarks of the Chesapeake is
The Thomas Point lantern generates 6,000 candlepower of white light that is visible for up to 12 miles; boaters can see the 1,300 candlepower red light from approximately 9 miles away. The lighthouse also is equipped with a foghorn that sounds regularly during periods of low visibility.
A keeper manned the lighthouse until the mid-1980 when the light was automated with a generator and batteries.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Colonial Era • Waterways & Vessels.
Location. 38° 54.453′ N, 76° 27.63′ W. Marker is in Annapolis, Maryland, in Anne Arundel County. Marker is on Thomas Point Road. The marker is located at the foot of Thomas Point Park. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Annapolis MD 21403, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on April 30, 2016, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Maryland. This page has been viewed 350 times since then and 27 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on April 30, 2016, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Maryland. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.