Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Dover in Kent County, Delaware — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Eden Hill Farm

 
 
Eden Hill Farm Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Bill Pfingsten, April 29, 2016
1. Eden Hill Farm Marker
Inscription.  In 1680, a large tract of land called "Brothers Portion" was warranted to John and Richard Walker. In 1695, 200 acres of the parcel were purchased to create the town of Dover. When the town plot was completed in 1718, John Mifflin purchased 69 acres of undeveloped land from the town. The property passed througjh the hands of several landowners before being purchased by Nicholas Ridgely in 1748. By 1749, Ridgely had erected a house on the farm. Among his public interest, Nicholas Ridgely served as treasurer of Kent County and as a justice of the provincial Supreme Court of the Three Lower Counties upon Delaware. After Ridgely's death in 1755, his third wife, Mary had named 'Eden Hill.' She planted two avenues of trees approaching the house. From the 18th through 21st centuries, successive generations of Ridgelys worked hard to keep Eden Hill a productive farm and family home. Eden Hill was purchased by the State of Delaware in 2004 for preservation and use as judicial chambers of the Supreme Court of Delaware.
 
Erected 2015 by Delaware Public Archives. (Marker Number KC-117.)
 
Topics and series.
Eden Hill Farm Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Beverly Pfingsten, April 29, 2016
2. Eden Hill Farm Marker
Click or scan to see
this page online
This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: AgricultureColonial EraSettlements & Settlers. In addition, it is included in the Delaware Public Archives series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1680.
 
Location. 39° 9.207′ N, 75° 32.239′ W. Marker is in Dover, Delaware, in Kent County. Marker is at the intersection of West North Street and Dairy Barn Way on West North Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Dover DE 19904, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Booker T. Washington School (approx. 0.4 miles away); Site of Dover's First Methodist Church (approx. half a mile away); Colonel John Haslet (approx. 0.6 miles away); John M. Clayton (approx. 0.6 miles away); Old Presbyterian Church (approx. 0.6 miles away); Site Of Kent County’s First Presbyterian Church (approx. 0.6 miles away); Did you know... (approx. 0.7 miles away); Continuity & Progress (approx. 0.7 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Dover.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on May 2, 2016, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland. This page has been viewed 370 times since then and 76 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on May 2, 2016, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=94380

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
Paid Advertisements
 
 

Oct. 5, 2022