Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Druid Hills in Atlanta in DeKalb County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

Closing the Gap

 
 
Closing the Gap Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Felch Dumas, July 20, 2008
1. Closing the Gap Marker
Inscription.  July 20, 1864. A critical factor in the alignment of Federal troops moving on Atlanta, from Peachtree Creek valley, was a wide gap between Peachtree Rd. (the left of Thomas’ forces) & Schofield’s 23d A.C. posted at the intersection of N. Decatur & Briarcliff roads.

To fill this gap, Stanley’s & Wood’s 4th A.C. divs. were moved S.E. from Buckhead. Crossing S. Fork Peachtree Cr. at Durand’s Mill, Wood’s div. was deployed W. on Rock Spring Rd.; Stanley’s, in the valley W. of here & Schofield’s 23 A.C. prolonged Stanley’s line southward. Sherman directed placement of these troops from his h’dq’rs at the crossroads July 20, 21.
 
Erected 1954 by Georgia Historical Commission. (Marker Number 044-29.)
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: War, US Civil. In addition, it is included in the Georgia Historical Society series list. A significant historical date for this entry is July 20, 1879.
 
Location. 33° 47.41′ N, 84° 20.319′ W. Marker is in Atlanta, Georgia, in DeKalb County. It is in Druid Hills. Marker is on Briarcliff Road
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
(Georgia Route 42) 0.1 miles north of University Drive, on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Atlanta GA 30306, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Historic Ground (approx. half a mile away); 4th A.C. at Durand's Mill (approx. half a mile away); Stanley’s & Wood’s Sector (approx. 0.8 miles away); Durand's Mill (approx. 0.9 miles away); Site: Judge James Paden House: Gen. J.D. Cox’s H’dq’rs (approx. one mile away); Alpha Delta Pi (approx. 1.1 miles away); Lynching in America / The Lynching of Porter Turner (approx. 1.1 miles away); Old Williams Mill Rd. (approx. 1.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Atlanta.
 
Closing the Gap Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Felch Dumas, July 20, 2008
2. Closing the Gap Marker
Briarcliff Road in the direction of North Decatur Road intersection image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Felch Dumas, July 20, 2008
3. Briarcliff Road in the direction of North Decatur Road intersection
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on February 8, 2023. It was originally submitted on July 24, 2008, by Felch Dumas of Decatur, Georgia. This page has been viewed 1,717 times since then and 49 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on July 24, 2008, by Felch Dumas of Decatur, Georgia. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=9500

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
May. 18, 2024