Fredericksburg, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
The Walker Landram House
To your left front is a ravine that leads up from Hazel Run to what was once the 230-acre farmstead of Walker Landram. In 1854, he had sold 6.5 acres on the southern edge of his farm to the railway company, where you are now standing. When the Civil War came to Fredericksburg, Landram owned 13 slaves and had become a reasonably prosperous farmer. The 1860 Census valued his land, tools, and slaves at $8,100.
On May 4, 1864, Confederate troops under Brigadier General Ambrose R. Wright deployed across the creek in front of you and advanced through the Landram farm toward Federal forces near the Idlewild mansion. When this battle crashed through his property, Landram’s slaves had already run off and the Confederate army had requisitioned his crops and livestock. The Civil War had reduced him to a subsistence farmer.
"Gen. Wright advanced as in column through a ravine” —A Confederate soldier
Census Valuation of Landram’s Farm
Land, tools, and slaves: $8,100 1870 Census
Lands and tools: $200
This break in the railway
The Landram Farm complex included the family home, three slave quarters, and other outbuildings. These photos (courtesy of the Fredericksburg Area Museum) show some of the outbuildings as they appeared around 1922. None survive.
On May 4, 1863, the Union Sixth Corps took position between Salem Church and the town of Fredericksburg, its line of communications through Banks Ford (1). A Confederate force held its position at Salem Church (2), where a battle had been fought the day before, while another force retook the heights overlooking Fredericksburg (3). A Confederate probe found the Union line to be held in strength (4), but to the west, the battle of Chancellorsville had been fought to a standstill and the Confederates repositioned troops to concentrate against this isolated Federal corps. A late afternoon attack slammed into the apex of the Federal line (5) and ﬁghting extended to the north (6). The Federals would retreat after nightfall. These maps are oriented to the direction you are facing and also show the modem road network to help relate the action to the ground.
Brigadier General Ambrose R. Wright’s brigade of Georgia troops took position here, with a brigade of Mississippians on their left, under Brigadier General Carnot Posey. These units were the far right of Major General Richard H. Anderson's division. To their right stood Brigadier General Robert Hoke and his brigade of North Carolina troops, constituting the far left of Major General Jubal Early’s division. When the Confederate attack went forward, this seam between the two divisions came apart. Wright took ﬁre from Federal artillery and veered to his left, advancing in the shelter of a ravine, but also losing contact with Hoke. In addition, Wright cut across Posey's front, negating any potential support.
Erected by Fredericksburg Economic Development and Tourism Office.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Agriculture • Railroads & Streetcars • War, US Civil. In addition, it is included in the Virginia, Fredericksburg: Timeless. series list. A significant historical date for this entry is May 4, 1864.
Location. 38° 17.07′ N, 77° 29.45′ W. Marker is in Fredericksburg, Virginia. Marker can be reached from the intersection of Jefferson Davis Highway (U.S. 1) and Kings Mill Drive, on the right when traveling south. Located along the Virginia Central Railway Trail. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Fredericksburg VA 22401, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Reestablishing a Travel Way (approx. ¼ mile away); Fredericksburg (approx. 0.3 miles away); The Railway, With Tracks and Without (approx. 0.4 miles away); Building a Railroad Through a Stream Valley (approx. half a mile away); Virginia Central Railway Trail (approx. 0.6 miles away); Lee’s Position (approx. 0.6 miles away); Lee’s Hill (approx. 0.8 miles away); Lee's Hill, the commander's lookout (approx. 0.8 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Fredericksburg.
Credits. This page was last revised on April 21, 2020. It was originally submitted on June 20, 2016, by Bernard Fisher of Richmond, Virginia. This page has been viewed 287 times since then and 7 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on June 20, 2016, by Bernard Fisher of Richmond, Virginia.