Twin Oaks Trail
This trail allows the hiker to experience Green Ridge State Forest in miniature. The trail follows ridges and valleys along mountain streams and crosses open fields. One section of the trail opens up into an expansive view of Town Hill and the 15-Mile Creek valley. The hiker will pass through hardwood and pine forests that consist of a wide variety of trees, shrubs, wildflowers and wildlife.
The trail is named after the Twin Oaks Schoolhouse, built around 1887. It is the last standing one-room schoolhouse, of approximately 20 schoolhouses, that once existed within the State Forest boundaries. Now privately owned, the Schoolhouse is located near the trail at the intersection of Double Pine road and Old Cumberland Road.
"The mountains are calling, and I must go." — John Muir
Erected by Maryland State Highway Administration Recreation Trail Grant Program.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Education • Environment • Horticulture & Forestry • Roads & Vehicles. A significant historical year for this entry is 1887.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 8 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Long Pond Trail (here, next to this marker); Log Roll Trail (a few steps from this marker); Pine Lick Trail (within shouting distance of this marker); John Mash Jr. (within shouting distance of this marker); McCausland's Raid (approx. 1.4 miles away); Town Hill Overlook (approx. 3.2 miles away); “The Warrior’s Path” (approx. 7 miles away); Veterans Memorial (approx. 7.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Flintstone.
Also see . . .
1. Green Ridge State Forest. Maryland Department of Natural Resources entry (Submitted on July 17, 2016, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
2. One-Room Schoolhouse Center. (Submitted on July 17, 2016, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
Credits. This page was last revised on January 2, 2021. It was originally submitted on July 17, 2016, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 163 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on July 17, 2016, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.