Hancock in Washington County, Maryland — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Discover the Trail
Western Maryland Rail Trail
1. Big Pool Junction
The Big Pool Train Station was constructed in 1892 to make a connection with the B&O Railroad across the river at Cherry Run, WV. The Western Maryland Railroad was in a boom stage of growth with the 18 miles of rail between Hagerstown and Big Pool being the busiest section on the railway. In the spring of 1904 building of the Cumberland Extension began at Big Pool. The Western Maryland reached Hancock by December of that year and Cumberland by March two years later.
Continue 3 mi. to the stone archway.
2. Ernstville Road Bridge
The Ernstville Road Bridge was constructed in 1930 to carry motor vehicles on Ernstville Road safely over the Western Maryland Railway. The present concrete culvert overpass was constructed in 1997 as part of the development of the Western Maryland Rail Trail.
2.1 mi. to Licking Creek Bridge.
3. Three Eras of Transportation
Facing west, Licking Creek Aquaduct is visible to the left. Constructed between 1836 and 1838, this is a single-arch aquaduct built of limestone. This 90-foot span is the longest of the C&O Canal's
Only .3 mi. to the next stop.
4. Park Head Level Graveyard
Near this site is located a graveyard that dates to the early 1800’s. There are numerous marked and unmarked graves. Plain field stones serve as common markers.
2.6 mi. to marker #5.
5. Millstone & Moffet Station
A small community originally called Millstone Point, but later simplified to just Millstone, grew up along the C&O Canal in this area. During the Civil War several companies of the First Regiment Maryland Infantry were stationed at Millstone Point to protect the C&O Canal from Confederates. The Moffet Station was constructed nearby the when the Cumberland Extension of the Western Maryland Railway came through this location.
A mile to scenic Little Pool.
6. Little Pool
Little Pool, a pretty body of water, nearly one mile long, was part of the C&O Canal. The pool and adjacent wooded areas are excellent for birding. A wooden foot bridge near the eastern end of Little Pool connects the Western Maryland Rail Trail and the C&O Towpath.
3.8 mi. to marker #7.
A railroad siding was constructed near here to allow engineers to unload their cargo at the coal trestle, simplifying the handling of this valuable resource.
Only .2 mi of trail left.
8. Hancock Station
The Hancock Station was a combination passenger and freight station that was constructed in 1904-1905. Passenger service was discontinued in the early 1950’s.
Route to Fort from Rail Trail: Cross to C&O Towpath at Ernstville Rd., then turn into the park after Big Pool.
Erected by State of Maryland Department of Natural Resources.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Bridges & Viaducts • Railroads & Streetcars • Roads & Vehicles • Waterways & Vessels. In addition, it is included in the Baltimore and Ohio Railroad (B&O), and the Chesapeake and Ohio (C&O) Canal series lists. A significant historical year for this entry is 1892.
Location. 39° 41.913′ N, 78° 10.762′ W. Marker is in Hancock, Maryland, in Washington County. Marker can be reached from Canal Street east of Taney Street South, on the left when traveling east. Located on the Western Maryland Rail Trail. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Hancock MD 21750, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. A New Beginning (within shouting distance of this marker); Major James Breathed (within shouting distance of this marker); a different marker also named Discover the Trail (within shouting distance of this marker); Hancock (within shouting distance of this marker); "Perkins House" / "Davis" Hotel (within shouting distance of this marker); "Hershey Ice Cream" Shop / "Barton House" (within shouting distance of this marker); Hancock in the Canal Era (within shouting distance of this marker); The C&O Canal: Serving the Potomac Valley (within shouting distance of this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Hancock.
Credits. This page was last revised on September 29, 2020. It was originally submitted on July 25, 2016, by Bernard Fisher of Richmond, Virginia. This page has been viewed 366 times since then and 42 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on July 25, 2016, by Bernard Fisher of Richmond, Virginia.