Sarasota in Sarasota County, Florida — The American South (South Atlantic)
Sarasota Bay and its downtown bayfront have long been considered the brightest jewels in Sarasota’s crown. In 1910 Bertha Palmer, who helped put Sarasota on the international map, proclaimed Sarasota Bay more beautiful than the Bay of Naples. From the time of its earliest inhabitants, the bayfront has played an important role in the area’s history and culture. In 1886 the Florida Mortgage and Investment Company built a pier that extended off lower Main Street; Harry Higel, a major force in the early development of Sarasota, later purchased the pier and operated a steamship service between Sarasota and Tampa. In 1911 Higel sold the pier to the Hover Brothers of Lima, Ohio, who built the Hover Arcade, a mix of Mediterranean styles with distinctive towers on either side of the archway leading to the pier. The Hover Arcade, purchased by Sarasota in 1917, became the city hall, and in 1921, it temporarily housed the newly formed county government as well. The popular city pier, a focal point for the community, provided residents and visitors with boat slips, a restaurant, and a place to fish.
Erected 2014 by Sarasota County Historical Commission.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Roads & VehiclesWaterways & Vessels. A significant historical year for this entry is 1910.
Location. 27° 20.074′ N, 82° 32.76′ W. Marker is in Sarasota, Florida, in Sarasota County. Marker is on Bayfront Drive (U.S. 41) 0.1 miles north of Main Street, on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Sarasota FL 34236, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Unconditional Surrender (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Landing of the Scots (about 500 feet away); Sarasota War Memorial/The Doughboy (about 600 feet away); American National Bank (approx. 0.2 miles away); Historic Palm Tower (approx. 0.2 miles away); Edwards Theatre 1926 (approx. ¼ mile away); City of Sarasota (approx. ¼ mile away); John D. MacDonald 1916-1986/John D. and the Friday Liars (approx. ¼ mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Sarasota.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 21, 2018. It was originally submitted on August 22, 2016, by Tim Fillmon of Webster, Florida. This page has been viewed 427 times since then and 18 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on August 22, 2016, by Tim Fillmon of Webster, Florida. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.