Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Druid Hills near Atlanta in DeKalb County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

Historic Ground

 
 
Historic Ground Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Felch Dumas, July 28, 2008
1. Historic Ground Marker
This view is facing towards Briarcliff Road. The guards will not let pictures be taken of the building area.
Inscription.  This modern tv station, WAGA-TV stands in land lot 57 of the 18th District of the original Henry, now DeKalb County, near the south fork of Peachtree Creek, was erected in 1966.

In July, 1864 the present Briarcliff Road was the route of the Federal Army of Gen. W.T. Sherman toward Atlanta. Gen. O.O. Howard’s 4th Corps crossed south fork at Durand’s Mill and occupied an entrenched camp in this immediate vicinity July 20.

On the 22nd, these troops with Gen. Schofield’s 23rd Corps moved towards Atlanta on Briarcliff Rd.

Text by Wilbur G. Kurtz
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Notable BuildingsWar, US Civil. A significant historical month for this entry is July 1864.
 
Location. 33° 47.793′ N, 84° 20.105′ W. Marker is near Atlanta, Georgia, in DeKalb County. It is in Druid Hills. Marker is on Briarcliff Road (Georgia Route 42) 0.1 miles south of Old Briarcliff Road, on the right when traveling north. This marker is located on the grounds of FOX network in Atlanta, near the guard station. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Atlanta GA 30306, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. 4th A.C. at Durand's Mill (within shouting distance of this marker); Durand's Mill (approx. half a mile away); Closing the Gap (approx. half a mile away); Stanley’s & Wood’s Sector (approx. 0.8 miles away); Site: Judge James Paden House: Gen. J.D. Cox’s H’dq’rs (approx. 0.9 miles away); Stanley & Wood March To Durand's Mill (approx. 1.2 miles away); The Hardman Family Cemetery (approx. 1½ miles away); Alpha Delta Pi (approx. 1½ miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Atlanta.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on February 8, 2023. It was originally submitted on August 1, 2008, by Felch Dumas of Decatur, Georgia. This page has been viewed 1,626 times since then and 17 times this year. Photo   1. submitted on August 1, 2008, by Felch Dumas of Decatur, Georgia. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.
 
Editor’s want-list for this marker. A wide view photo of the marker and the surrounding area together in context. • Can you help?

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=9766

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
U.S. FTC REQUIRED NOTICE: This website earns income from purchases you make after using links to Amazon.com. Thank you.
Paid Advertisements
Feb. 29, 2024