Chattanooga in Hamilton County, Tennessee — The American South (East South Central)
11th Ohio Infantry
— Baird's Division —
Lieutenant Colonel Ogden Street
November 25, 1863
Killed 8, - Wounded 43.
Erected 1908 by State of Ohio. (Marker Number MT-266.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: War, US Civil. In addition, it is included in the Chickamauga and Chattanooga National Military Park, Missionary Ridge, and the Chickamauga and Chattanooga National Military Park: November 25, 1863 series lists. A significant historical date for this entry is November 25, 1863.
Location. This marker has been replaced by another marker nearby. 35° 2.526′ N, 85° 15.213′ W. Marker is in Chattanooga, Tennessee, in Hamilton County. Marker is on North Crest Road south of Brown Wood Drive, on the right when traveling south. According to the location information provided by the National Park Service, this tablet is, “Located on Missionary Ridge at 194 North Crest Road/1934 Map 95," and according to the NPS staff it is located "by DeLong Reservation". Touch for mapTouch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this location. Deas' Brigade (within shouting distance of this marker); 9th Kentucky Infantry (within shouting distance of this marker); Turchin's Brigade (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); DeLong Reservation (about 300 feet away); 17th Ohio Infantry (about 300 feet away); Union Casualties (about 300 feet away); Confederate Casualties (about 300 feet away); 2nd Minnesota (about 400 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Chattanooga.
More about this marker. According to the description information provided by the National Park Service, the marker is a, “3' x 2' bronze inscription tablet with decorative border mounted on low marble pedestal. Describes the unit's activities on November 25, 1863."
When this marker was originally posted on the Historical Marker database it was missing, and was posted as a missing marker, but now the NPS staff have restored this marker, in its original location, and it is currently available for the public to view.
Credits. This page was last revised on September 9, 2020. It was originally submitted on September 11, 2016, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio. This page has been viewed 229 times since then and 6 times this year. Photos: 1. submitted on July 17, 2018, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio. 2, 3, 4. submitted on July 14, 2017, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio. 5, 6, 7. submitted on July 17, 2018, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio.