Georgetown in Washington, District of Columbia — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Erected 1820 · Restored 1953
Long a Georgetown landmark, this building was occupied from 1826 by Miss Lydia English's Georgetown Female Seminary, whose patrons and frequent visitors included Martin Van Buren, James Buchanan, Daniel Webster, Henry Clay, Andrew Johnson, General Fremont, and other notables of the era.
Following the defeat of Union forces at the first Battle of Bull Run, this building was commandeered for use as an army general hospital during the remainder of the Civil War, after which it was converted into apartments.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Education • Science & Medicine • War, US Civil • Women. In addition, it is included in the Former U.S. Presidents: #08 Martin Van Buren, the Former U.S. Presidents: #15 James Buchanan, and the Former U.S. Presidents: #17 Andrew Johnson series lists. A significant historical year for this entry is 1826.
Location. 38° 54.436′ N, 77° 3.546′ W. Marker is in Georgetown in Washington, District of Columbia. Marker is on 30th Street Northwest north of N Street Northwest, on the rightTouch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1311 30th Street Northwest, Washington DC 20007, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Stately Houses and Gardens (within shouting distance of this marker); John Laird (within shouting distance of this marker); Early African American Georgetown (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Suter Home (about 300 feet away); Mount Zion United Methodist Church and Heritage Center, and the Female Union Band Cemetery (about 400 feet away); Mt. Zion United Methodist Church (about 400 feet away); Mt. Zion United Methodist Church Parsonage (about 500 feet away); Hughes House (about 500 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Georgetown.
Credits. This page was last revised on August 10, 2020. It was originally submitted on September 12, 2016, by J. Makali Bruton of Querétaro, Mexico. This page has been viewed 343 times since then and 40 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on September 12, 2016, by J. Makali Bruton of Querétaro, Mexico.