Macon in Bibb County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
The Dunlap House
Ocmulgee National Monument
Samuel and his wife, Mary, had seven children. The couple’s oldest child, John Lee, died at age seven. After his death, the couple had five daughters, all of whom attended Wesleyan College. The Dunlap’s last child was a son who they named Samuel Junior. The Dunlap children had no children of their own, so the Dunlap name did not carry on with their family. In 1902, Samuel S. Dunlap died at the age of 72 at his house on High Street. He is buried at Rose Hill Cemetery along with his family members.
In the late 1930’s the house served as an office for the National Park Service staff. In 1940, the office was moved into the new administration building and the house was converted into the Superintendent’s
Erected 2013 by National Park Service, U.S. Department of the Interior.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Agriculture • War, US Civil.
Location. 32° 50.482′ N, 83° 36.127′ W. Marker is in Macon, Georgia, in Bibb County. Marker is on Ocmulgee National Park Road 0.2 miles south of Emery Highway (U.S. 23/80), on the left when traveling south. Marker located on the grounds of Ocmulgee National Monument Park. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1207 Emery Hwy, Macon GA 31217, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Battle of Dunlap Hill-Stoneman's Raid (here, next to this marker); William Bartram Trail (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Battles of Dunlap Farm (about 700 feet away); a different marker also named The Dunlap House (about 700 feet away); Fort Hawkins (approx. 0.8 miles away); War of 1812 Bicentennial Celebration (approx. 0.8 miles away); Gen. James Edward Oglethorpe (approx. 0.8 miles away); a different marker also named Fort Hawkins (approx. 0.8 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Macon.
More about this marker. This marker is conjoined with a different National Park Service marker titled "The Battle of Dunlap Hill - Stoneman's Raid"
Regarding The Dunlap House. These markers were dedicated in the spring of 2013. At the same time two Georgia metal roadside markers were relocated from outside the park to within 75 feet of these National Park Service markers. (The Dunlap House 011-3 and Battles of Dunlap Farm 011-5).
Credits. This page was last revised on March 11, 2019. It was originally submitted on October 12, 2016, by Brandon D Cross of Flagler Beach, Florida. This page has been viewed 309 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on October 12, 2016, by Brandon D Cross of Flagler Beach, Florida. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.