Moore in Spartanburg County, South Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
Walnut Grove Plantation
Erected 1968 by Sandersville, Ca., Descendants of Charles & Mary Moore.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Cemeteries & Burial Sites • Colonial Era • Patriots & Patriotism • War, US Revolutionary. A significant historical year for this entry is 1765.
Location. 34° 50.423′ N, 81° 58.123′ W. Marker is in Moore, South Carolina, in Spartanburg County. Marker is at the intersection of Stillhouse Road (State Highway 196) and U.S. 221 on Stillhouse Road. Marker is located at the intersection of Stillhouse Road and Highway 221, just east of the 221 and I-26 intersection. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Moore SC 29369, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 10 other markers are within 7 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. “Kate Barry” (here, next to this marker); Site of Fredonia (approx. Emmanuel Baptist Church Veterans Monument (approx. 1.9 miles away); Crash Site of USA AF A20G Havoc (approx. 4˝ miles away); First Erosion Control Work in the Southeast (approx. 5.1 miles away); Nazareth Frame House (approx. 5.3 miles away); Nazareth Church Stone Marker (approx. 5.3 miles away); Nazareth Church (approx. 5.6 miles away); John B. White Sr., Blvd. (approx. 5.7 miles away); Harold Hatcher (approx. 6.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Moore.
Also see . . .
1. Walnut Grove Plantation. Walnut Grove Plantation, the home of Charles and Mary Moore, was built in 1765 on a land grant given by King George III. (Submitted on August 4, 2008, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina.)
2. Walnut Grove Plantation. The Walnut Grove house, outbuildings, and furnishings provide a fully documented picture of life, and an example of social history, in upcountry South Carolina prior to 1830. (Submitted on September 17, 2008, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina.)
Credits. This page was last revised on December 15, 2019. It was originally submitted on August 4, 2008, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 1,744 times since then and 23 times this year. Photo 1. submitted on August 4, 2008, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.