Fort Walton Beach in Okaloosa County, Florida — The American South (South Atlantic)
Indianola Inn, An Indian Midden Mound, and Civil War Cannons
The Indianola Inn, the second hotel in this area, was built on this midden mound in 1912 – the only structure ever permitted to do so. The inn burned in 1962, but the steps, foundation parts, and well head have been preserved. The inn had been condemned several days prior to the fire and the owners were to be notified the day after the fire. In 1927 the rate for staying at the inn was $25.00 per week including all meals, the use of a boat and guest services. The inn’s original owners were Mrs. Mary Frances Brooks Pryor and her husband. Mrs. Pryor’s father, John Thomas Brooks built the first hotel in the area, Brooks House, and later sold it leaving the Indianola Inn the only Brooks family hotel. Out of respect for the archeological significance of the mound the developers of the Indianola on the Water Condominium
Artifacts such as animal and fish bones, pottery, eating utensils, and arrows were uncovered during an extensive 2005 archeological study conducted prior to the start of the condominium project. It is believed upper middle class Indians lived here, but there have never been any confirmed human bone findings. A button found in 1966 was attributed to a soldier of the Fort Walton Guard, commanded by Confederate Captain William McPherson. During the Civil War he used the cannon and this site to protect “The Narrows” of Santa Rosa Sound where it enters Choctawatchee Bay. At that time, the land extended several hundred yards farther into the
Erected 2006 by NWEC Development and Florida Department of State. (Marker Number F-569.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Native Americans • Notable Places • War, US Civil.
Location. 30° 24.15′ N, 86° 36.496′ W. Marker is in Fort Walton Beach, Florida, in Okaloosa Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 113 Brooks Street SE, Fort Walton Beach FL 32548, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 6 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Okaloosa County Desert Storm Memorial (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); Fort Walton (about 600 feet away); Story of the Fort Walton Temple Mound (about 700 feet away); Preserving and Protecting the Mound (about 800 feet away); XM-800 Armored Reconnaisance Scout Vehicle (approx. 5.1 miles away); AGM-28 Hound Dog Missile (approx. 5.2 miles away); B-52 Stratofortress (approx. 5.2 miles away); SR-71 Blackbird (approx. 5.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Fort Walton Beach.
Also see . . . Florida Public Archaeology Network page showing the sidewalk and stairs mentioned. (Submitted on October 29, 2016, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.)
Credits. This page was last revised on October 30, 2016. It was originally submitted on October 29, 2016, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. This page has been viewed 305 times since then and 17 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on October 29, 2016, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.