“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Loretto in Lawrence County, Tennessee — The American South (East South Central)

Methodist Church and Masonic Lodge 1908

Methodist Church and Masonic Lodge 1908 Marker image. Click for full size.
By Sandra Hughes, March 7, 2017
1. Methodist Church and Masonic Lodge 1908 Marker
Inscription. Click to hear the inscription.  (side 1)
An agreement was made with the Masons to build and share the two-story wood clapboard building. Different protestant denominations contributed labor, materials, and money. The graveyard, donated in 1908, became Loretto Cemetery after the church was relocated in 1954. The 1908 church was located here, next to the original site of Glenís Stand, built pre-1812 at the present day north corner of 2nd Avenue (Andrew Jacksonís Military Road) at Mill Creek Drive. The village of Glen Rock developed at Glenís Stand on the gentle rise above the spring and creek where Glen Rock Cemetery was located.

The western frontier of America was created as the Mississippi Territory in 1798. This land was the sovereign tribal lands of the Cherokee and Chickasaw Nations prior to the Treaties of 1816. Chief Doublehead of the Chickamauga Cherokee improved an ancient buffalo trail to become Doublehead Trace leading from his villages at the Shoals on the Tennessee River through Lawrence and Maury counties TN to the French Lick (Nashville), where he and his warriors waged war on the Cumberland River settlements, 1775-1795.
(Continued on other
Methodist Church and Masonic Lodge 1908 Marker image. Click for full size.
By Sandra Hughes, March 7, 2017
2. Methodist Church and Masonic Lodge 1908 Marker
(side 2)
(Continued from other side)
Doublehead met with President George Washington 1794. He became a wealthy landlord for settlers and business owners on Bluewater Creek, south of Glen Rock. The Chickasaw Nation held claim to Doubleheadís land and President Thomas Jefferson agreed that the United States Army would remove the intruders by force in 1809 and 1811. Doublehead was assassinated by Cherokee leaders 1807.

Glen Rock prospered after the completion of Jacksonís Military Road in 1820, cutting 200 miles off the previous journey by stage from Nashville to New Orleans made on the Natchez Trace. The Military Road followed parts of Doublehead Trace through Glen Rock. In 1822, mail riders followed parts the new Military Road. The last stagecoach ran in 1849. Glen Rock Post Office was established in 1852. Andrew Jackson joined horse owners from AL, MS, and KY at the race track located near the present day South Lawrence Elementary School on the Old Military Road.

During the Civil War in 1864, General John Bell Hoodís Army of Tennessee of about 30,000 crossed the Tennessee River at Florence, AL. One of three columns of war-torn soldiers, marching to the bitter, winter battles in Franklin and Nashville followed Jacksonís Military Road to Glen Rock where they camped around Glenís Stand.
Erected 2016.
Location. 35° 4.326′ N, 87° 26.825′ W. Marker is in Loretto, Tennessee, in Lawrence County. Marker is at the intersection of 2nd Avenue S and Millcreek Drive, on the right when traveling south on 2nd Avenue S. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Loretto TN 38469, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 14 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. World War I (approx. 8.7 miles away in Alabama); Tabernacle Church (approx. 9 miles away in Alabama); Grassy Memorial Chapel and Cemetery (approx. 10.9 miles away in Alabama); Lone Cedar Church of Christ (approx. 12.2 miles away in Alabama); Pioneers in Textiles (approx. 13 miles away); David Crockett's Home (approx. 13.1 miles away); Springfield Community 1810/Springfield Church and School (approx. 13.2 miles away in Alabama); James David Vaughan (approx. 13.2 miles away).
Categories. Cemeteries & Burial SitesFraternal or Sororal OrganizationsMan-Made FeaturesSettlements & SettlersWar, US Civil
Credits. This page was last revised on March 7, 2017. This page originally submitted on March 7, 2017, by Sandra Hughes of Killen, Usa. This page has been viewed 191 times since then and 37 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on March 7, 2017, by Sandra Hughes of Killen, Usa. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.
Editor’s want-list for this marker. A wide shot of the marker and its surroundings. • Can you help?
Paid Advertisement