Harpers Ferry in Jefferson County, West Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
When Harper died in 1782, there were only three houses in the town. Optimistic about the community's potential for growth, however, Harper had set aside this 4-acre cemetery. Childless, Harper left most of his estate to his niece, Sarah, who subsequently married a Wager. As you wander around the cemetery, you'll find the grave markers of some of Sarah Wager's descendants as well as stones of Irish and German immigrants who settled in this area during the 1830's.
Location. 39° 19.427′ N, 77° 44.074′ W. Marker is in Harpers Ferry, West Virginia, in Jefferson County. Marker is on Fillmore Street 0.2 miles east of Columbia Street, on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker can be reached by walking through the cemetery downhill from Lockwood House and bearing right toward the woods. Alternately, it can be reached from a side trail off the Appalachian Trail just above Jefferson Rock. Marker is in this post office area: Harpers Ferry WV 25425, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. Nathan Cook Brackett (within shouting distance of this marker); Lockwood House (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Revolutionary War Soldier (about 300 feet away); Brackett House (about 500 feet away); Jefferson Rock (about 500 feet away); a different marker also named Jefferson Rock (about 500 feet away); Shenandoah Canal (about 600 feet away); Riley House (about 700 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Harpers Ferry.
More about this marker. The cemetery is on a hill with a lovely view.
Also see . . . Appalachian Trail Conservancy: Hike West Virginia. Appalachian Trail Headquarters Building is not far from Harper Cemetery. Page links to a (PDF) map showing cemetery location (as Harpers Ferry Cemetery). (Submitted on August 13, 2008, by Linda Walcroft of Strasburg, Virginia.)
Categories. • Cemeteries & Burial Sites •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on August 13, 2008, by Linda Walcroft of Strasburg, Virginia. This page has been viewed 2,318 times since then and 23 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on August 13, 2008, by Linda Walcroft of Strasburg, Virginia. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.