Corozal Town, Corozal, Belize
Corozal Town Historical Walk
Soldiers stationed at the fort were members of the British West India Regiment who mostly came from Jamaica and Barbados. At Fort Barlee, British Honduras was witness to some of the rare military incidences that helped shaped this country into what it is today.
The Corozal Public Hospital, along with doctors' and nurses' quarters was built inside the former compound in the early 1900's and was in use until Hurricane Janet in 1955 destroyed the structures. In the late 1950's government administrative buildings were constructed and are currently in use. Fort Barlee is the last standing fort in Belize.
Location. 18° 23.533′ N, 88° 23.198′ W. Marker is in Corozal Town, Corozal. Marker is at the intersection of 5th Avenue and 1st Street North, on the left when traveling east on 5th Avenue. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Corozal Town, Corozal 7M102 L1XT1, Belize.
Other nearby markers. At least 7 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Felipe Santiago Ricalde (within shouting distance of this marker); Corozal Town Central Park (about 90 meters away, measured in a direct line); Corozal Town Hall (about 90 meters away); Parish Office/Priest’s Residence/Xavier College (about 150 meters away); Her Majesty's Prison (about 210 meters away); Schofield Residence (about 240 meters away); House of Culture/Public Market (approx. 0.2 kilometers away).
Categories. • Forts, Castles • Man-Made Features • Native Americans • Wars, Non-US •
Credits. This page was last revised on July 4, 2017. This page originally submitted on July 4, 2017, by J. Makali Bruton of Querétaro, Mexico. This page has been viewed 108 times since then and 13 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on July 4, 2017, by J. Makali Bruton of Querétaro, Mexico.