Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Teotihuacán de Arista in Municipality of Teotihuacán, Estado de Mexico, Mexico — The Central Highlands
 

The Temple of Agriculture

 
 
The Temple of Agriculture Marker image. Click for full size.
By J. Makali Bruton, June 28, 2017
1. The Temple of Agriculture Marker
Inscription.
Templo de la Agricultura
Este edificio fue excavado por primer vez por el Arqueólogo Leopoldo Batre en 1886 y hacia 1922 Manuel Gamio realizó trabajos de restauración.

En las exploracinoes de Leopoldo Batres se encontraron dos fragmentos de pintura mural, uno frente de la fachada principal, compuesto de imágenes de semillas, plantas y corrientes de agua, por lo que se le asignó el nombre que actualmente lleva.

El edificio tiene 3 etapas constructivas, la más antigua data del años 150 dC, consiste en una plataforma baja con escalinata baja central orientada al este, de la cual se puede observa los restos de cinco escalones y la alfarda.

Hacia el año 200 dC la plataforma fue cubierta por un alto edificio con muro inclinado (talud) y su fachada cambia hacia el poniente, finalmente alrededor del año 250 dC el edificio adquiere su apariencia actual, sin embargo continúa sufriendo diversas modificaciones, entre los que sobresale la construcción de un vestíbulo con cuatro columnas al frente.

Pie de dibujo: Reconstrucción virtual – David Cruz

English translation:
The Temple of Agriculture
This was the first building to besearched by the archaeologist Leopoldo Batres in 1886 and restored around 1922 by Manuel Gamio and his team.
The Temple of Agriculture and marker image. Click for full size.
By J. Makali Bruton, June 28, 2017
2. The Temple of Agriculture and marker


In the research conducted by Leopoldo Batres, two fragments of wall paintings were discovered. One in front of the main façade, composed of images of seeds, plants and water streams is what gave the name to the building.

The building has 3 construction stages. The oldest from, 150 A.D., is a low platform with a central stairway facing east, were it can still been seen with its remaining five steps and balustrade. Around the year 200 AD the platform was covered by a tall building with a sloping wall (Talud) and its façade changes to face the west. Finally, around 250 AD, the building acquired its current appearance but continues to suffer various modifications, among which is the construction of a hall with four columns in front.

Caption: Virtual reconstruction – David Cruz
 
Erected by Consejo Nacional para la Cultura y las Artes de México (CONACULTA)-INAH.
 
Location. 19° 41.8′ N, 98° 50.698′ W. Marker is in Teotihuacán de Arista, Estado de Mexico, in Municipality of Teotihuacán. Marker can be reached from Route 132 just east of Avenida Pirámides. Touch for map. This marker is along the Calzada de los Muertos at the Teotihuacan Archaeological Site some meters south of the Plaza of the Moon. Marker is in this post office area: Teotihuacán de Arista, Estado de Mexico 55880, Mexico.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Late Occupation of Teotihuacan and the Mexica Presence (within shouting distance of this marker); The Quetzalpapálotl Architectural Complex (about 90 meters away, measured in a direct line); Miccoatli (about 120 meters away); The Puma Mural (about 120 meters away); The History of Teotihuacán (approx. 0.4 kilometers away); The Importance of the Pyramid of the Sun (approx. 0.4 kilometers away); A Ceremonial Incense Burner (approx. 0.4 kilometers away); The Pyramid of the Sun (approx. 0.4 kilometers away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Teotihuacán de Arista.
 
Categories. AnthropologyArchitectureMan-Made FeaturesNative Americans
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on July 16, 2017. This page originally submitted on July 15, 2017, by J. Makali Bruton of Querétaro, Mexico. This page has been viewed 63 times since then. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on July 15, 2017, by J. Makali Bruton of Querétaro, Mexico.
Paid Advertisement