Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Williamsburg, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Williamsburg Confederate Monument

 
 
Williamsburg Confederate Monument Marker image. Click for full size.
By Bill Coughlin, August 10, 2008
1. Williamsburg Confederate Monument Marker
Inscription.
1861 – 1865
To the Confederate Soldiers and
Sailors of Williamsburg
and James City County.

Right of Monument:
“Lord God of Hosts, be with us yet,
lest we forget – lest we forget!”

Left of Monument:
Erected by the Daughters
of the Confederacy and the
Citizens of Williamsburg and
James City County.

 
Erected 1908 by Daughters of the Confederacy and the Citizens of Williamsburg and James City County.
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the United Daughters of the Confederacy marker series.
 
Location. 37° 16.049′ N, 76° 42.294′ W. Marker is in Williamsburg, Virginia. Marker is on Court Street, on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is located in front of the Williamsburg-James City County Courthouse. Marker is in this post office area: Williamsburg VA 23185, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Public Hospital of 1773 (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Site of First Baptist Church (approx. 0.2 miles away); Indian School at the College of William & Mary
Front of Monument image. Click for full size.
By Bill Coughlin, August 10, 2008
2. Front of Monument
(approx. mile away); The College of William and Mary in Virginia (approx. mile away); Norborne Berkeley, Baron de Botetourt (approx. 0.3 miles away); Sir Christopher Wren Building (approx. 0.3 miles away); In Gallia Nati Mortui in Virginia (approx. 0.3 miles away); The Christopher Wren Building (approx. 0.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Williamsburg.
 
Categories. War, US Civil
 
Right Side of Monument image. Click for full size.
By Bill Coughlin, August 10, 2008
3. Right Side of Monument
Left Side of Monument image. Click for full size.
By Bill Coughlin, August 10, 2008
4. Left Side of Monument
Williamsburg Confederate Monument Marker image. Click for full size.
By Bill Coughlin, August 10, 2008
5. Williamsburg Confederate Monument Marker
This monument originally stood on the Palace Green in what is now Colonial Williamsburg. It was moved to this location in the 1930s when the Colonial Williamsburg Foundation restored the village to its 1774 appearance.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on August 21, 2008, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 1,184 times since then and 137 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on August 21, 2008, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey.
Paid Advertisement