Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Richmond, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Wilfred Emory Cutshaw

(1838–1907)

 
 
Wilfred Emory Cutshaw Marker image. Click for full size.
By J. J. Prats, September 3, 2017
1. Wilfred Emory Cutshaw Marker
Inscription. Wilfred Cutshaw graduated from the Virginia Military Institute in 1858 and served as a lieutenant colonel of artillery in the Confederate army. As Richmond’s city engineer (1873–1907), he instituted an innovative system of civic planning that transformed the cityscape. Cutshaw oversaw the construction of numerous schools, armories, markets, and a new city hall. He established a program of urban forestry, reflected in modern Richmond’s tree-lined streets. In William Byrd Park, one of several city parks he designed, Cutshaw combined the practicality of a new municipal water works and reservoir with scenic promenades, roadways, and lakes.
 
Erected 2015 by Department of Historic Resources. (Marker Number SA-110.)
 
Location. 37° 32.682′ N, 77° 28.556′ W. Marker is in Richmond, Virginia. Marker is at the intersection of Westover Road and Strollers Lane, on the right when traveling north on Westover Road. Touch for map. It is in William Byrd Park, near the Round House, between Swan Lake and Fountain Lake. Marker is in this post office area: Richmond VA 23220, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. WCTU of Richmond Fountain (within shouting distance of this marker); "For God And Country"
Wilfred Emory Cutshaw Marker image. Click for full size.
By J. J. Prats, September 3, 2017
2. Wilfred Emory Cutshaw Marker
(approx. 0.3 miles away); The Carillon (approx. 0.4 miles away); Arnold’s Picket Driven In (approx. 0.7 miles away); Confederate Memorial Chapel (approx. ¾ mile away); a different marker also named Confederate Memorial Chapel (approx. ¾ mile away); Residential Life at R. E. Lee Camp, No.1 (approx. 0.8 miles away); The Home For Needy Confederate Women (approx. 0.8 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Richmond.
 
Also see . . .  Wikipedia Entry. “Cutshaw oversaw projects of multiple scales; not only was he responsible for the creation of the city’s grid and waterworks system, but significant architectural achievements as well. Among these was the Old City Hall in 1886, an example of high Gothic architecture built from locally quarried granite and constructed by day laborers overseen by Cutshaw. Additionally, the Byrd Park Pump House of 1883 is an example of Cutshaw’s hallmark combination of utility and social life in his projects. Built to pump water from the James River and Kanawha Canal into the Byrd Park Reservoir, Cutshaw integrated
Wilfred Emory Cutshaw Marker at The Round House image. Click for full size.
By J. J. Prats, September 3, 2017
3. Wilfred Emory Cutshaw Marker at The Round House
an open-air dance floor on the second floor of this stone Gothic building, to which the city’s elite would arrive via boat for social events. Numerous public works including fire stations, markets, schools, and armories were also erected during Cutshaw’s tenure, exhibiting a range of architectural styles.” (Submitted on September 5, 2017.) 
 
Categories. ArchitectureHorticulture & ForestryMan-Made Features
 
Old City Hall (1886) image. Click for full size.
By J. J. Prats, September 3, 2017
4. Old City Hall (1886)
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on September 5, 2017. This page originally submitted on September 5, 2017, by J. J. Prats of Springfield, Virginia. This page has been viewed 75 times since then. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on September 5, 2017, by J. J. Prats of Springfield, Virginia.
 
Editor’s want-list for this marker. Photos of other examples of his work • Can you help?
Paid Advertisement