Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Manotick in Rideau-Goulbourn Ward, City of Ottawa, Ontario — Central Canada
 

The Clapp Family Barns / Les granges de la famille Clapp

 
 
The Clapp Family Barns / Les granges de la famille Clapp Marker image. Click for full size.
By William Fischer, Jr., November 10, 2017
1. The Clapp Family Barns / Les granges de la famille Clapp Marker
Inscription.

This Park is located on the former site of the Clapp Family Barns. Note the remnants of the barn foundation around this sign. The barn complex, shown here, is in front of the old bridge whose abutment remains behind the Cenotaph.

Johnston Clapp conveyed mail and passengers between Manotick and Manotick Station from 1908-1929. Seen here at the Clapp Barns is Harry Watson, the last private owner of Watson's Mill.

Many of the plants in this fence garden are from the gardens of Annie Clapp, founder of the Manotick Horticultural Society, and her daughter, Dorothy Clapp, a long-time Club Executive.

Correction: The person in the photo is actually Johnston Clapp

À l'emplacement du parc se trouvaient autrefois les granges de la famille Clapp. On voit les vestiges de leurs fondations autour de cet écriteau. Le complexe de granges, montré ici, était placé devant le vieux pont dont la culée subsiste derrière le cénotaphe.

Johnston Clapp a transporté du courrier et des passagers entre Manotick et la station, de 1908 à 1929. Harry Watson, le dernier propriétaire privé du moulin Watson, est montré ici aux granges Clapp.

Un grand nombre des plantes de ce jardin clôturé proviennent de ceux d'Annie Clapp, fondatrice de la société d'horticulture de Manotick, et de sa fille, Dorothy Clapp, qui a longtemps fait partie des dirigeants

The Clapp Family Barns / Les granges de la famille Clapp Marker image. Click for full size.
By William Fischer, Jr., November 10, 2017
2. The Clapp Family Barns / Les granges de la famille Clapp Marker
de cette organisation.

Correction: la personne dans la photo est en fait Johnston Clapp
 
Erected 2017 by the City of Ottawa and the Manotick Horticultural Society.
 
Location. 45° 13.664′ N, 75° 41.024′ W. Marker is in Manotick, Ontario, in Rideau-Goulbourn Ward, City of Ottawa. Marker is at the intersection of Dickinson Street and Bridge Street (Provincial Highway 8), on the left when traveling south on Dickinson Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: Manotick Remembrance Park, 5517 Dickinson Street, Manotick, Ontario K4M 1A2, Canada.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Navy / Marine (a few steps from this marker); Army / Armée (a few steps from this marker); Air Force / Force aérienne (a few steps from this marker); Merchant Navy / Marine marchande (within shouting distance of this marker); Peacekeeping / Casques bleus (within shouting distance of this marker); Homefront / Front intérieur (within shouting distance of this marker); Manotick Remembrance Park / Parc du Souvenir de Manotick (within shouting distance of this marker); War Memorial Cenotaph (within shouting distance of this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Manotick.
 
Also see . . .  Johnston Clapp in Historic Gloucester newsletter (2011). (Submitted on November 20, 2017, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
 
Categories. AgricultureMan-Made FeaturesSettlements & Settlers

 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on November 20, 2017. This page originally submitted on November 20, 2017, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 45 times since then. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on November 20, 2017, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.
Paid Advertisement