Louisville in Barbour County, Alabama — The American South (East South Central)
The Battles of Hobdy's Bridge and Pea River
—Creek Heritage Trail —
As early as January, 1837, small groups of Creeks began covert migrations to Florida through this area. Although many believed they sought to join their Seminole cousins in Florida to continue the war, most simply desired to escape American authority and live unmolested in sparsely populated northwestern Florida. Aware of the Creek's southward movement, uneasy American settlers petitioned Alabama Governor Clement C. Clay to authorize the formation of militia companies.
The Battle of Hobdy's Bridge, February 10, 1837
The Battle of Hobdy's Bridge occurred after a force of over 100 American militiamen under Captain Jack Cooper intercepted about 75 Creeks making their way to Florida. After locating the site of the Creek camp, the militia divided into two groups to converge on the refugees by surprise.
The Battle of Pea River, March 27, 1837
The Battle of Pea River occurred as a force of over 250 combined Alabama and Georgia militia under General William Wellborn tracked a party of about 400 Creek fugitives. The path of the Creeks had become easy to find due to the several looted and burned plantations they had left behind them as they moved south. After finding their temporary camp in a nearby swamp, Wellborn divided his command into two wings to encircle the Creeks. He personally commanded one wing, and placed the other under Colonel Jefferson Buford. The Creeks detected the approach, however, and attacked and scattered Buford's wing.
Right top map: Map of western Barbour County and southeast Alabama 1837, showing Creek routes to Florida.
Right bottom map: From The Second Creek War: Interethnic Conflict and Collusion on a Collapsing Frontier
Right top: The modern bridge spanning the Pea River west of Louisville today stands very near the location of Hobdy's original span. The battles of Pea River and Hobdy's Bridge were fought in the nearby swamps.
Right middle: Jefferson Buford
Erected 2015 by the Historic Chattahoochee Commission, the Wiregrass Resource Conservation and Development Council, the University of Alabama Center for Economic Development, and the Town of Louisville.
Location. 31° 47.304′ N, 85° 33.161′ W. Marker is in Louisville, Alabama, in Barbour County. Marker is on North Main Street (Alabama Route 51) 0.6 miles south of West Street, on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Located on the grounds of the Old Louisville School. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1871 North Main Street, Louisville AL 36048, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 7 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Louisville and "Old Alabama" (here, next to this marker); The Opening of the Second Phase of the Second Creek War (here, next to this marker); Louisville (here, next to this marker); The Old County Court House (within shouting distance of this marker); Louisville World War II Memorial (approx. ¾ mile away); Barbour County's "Little Scotland"/Pea River Presbyterian Church (approx. 4.6 miles away); Barbour County High School (approx. 6.6 miles away); Hobdy's Bridge: Last Indian Battles in Alabama (approx. 6.9 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Louisville.
Related marker. Click here for another marker that is related to this marker.
Also see . . . Battle of Hodby's Bridge - Desperate Fight on the Pea River. (Submitted on December 17, 2017, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.)
Categories. • Bridges & Viaducts • Native Americans • Wars, US Indian • Waterways & Vessels •
Credits. This page was last revised on December 17, 2017. This page originally submitted on December 17, 2017, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. This page has been viewed 47 times since then and 6 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on December 17, 2017, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.