Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Manotick in Rideau-Goulbourn Ward, City of Ottawa, Ontario — Central Canada
 

A Safety Valve and Power Source

Une soupape de sûreté et une source d'énergie

 
 
A Safety Valve and Power Source Marker image. Click for full size.
By William Fischer, Jr., November 10, 2017
1. A Safety Valve and Power Source Marker
Inscription.  

The Rideau Canal is a 202 kilometre waterway made navigable by a system of more than 50 dams, 47 locks and 19 kilometres of actual canal ruts. Built between 1826 and 1832 as British military defence strategy, the Canal served as a secure water route from the Ottawa River to Lake Ontario at Kingston. The story of its construction, operation, maintenance and use are part of our Canadian Heritage.

Spring flooding caused annual damage to the engineering works at Long Island Lock station, located 2 kilometres downstream. A new dam was constructed at this location, made of rock-filled timber cribs and wooden stoplog weirs. It was added to the canal system in 1858, operating as a safety valve, controlling the volume and flow of water.

In 1859, local businessmen, Moss Kent Dickinson and Joseph M. Currier, obtained the rights to use this water to generate power for their mills built around the dam. Their enterprise prompted the development of the village of Manotick and the demise of the original village near the Long Island locks. Since that time, the dam's role as a safety valve and power source to the Grist Mill remains essential.

A Safety Valve and Power Source Marker image. Click for full size.
By William Fischer, Jr., November 10, 2017
2. A Safety Valve and Power Source Marker
Looking NE across the dam from south side of mill
It has been re-constructed six times with the last two re-constructions made of reinforced concrete, in 1932 and 1980.

Today, the mechanics of dam operation is virtually unchanged. Timber stoplogs are still raised and lowered by the hand-operated winches mounted on dollies and moved from weir to weir along the track. The Canal is now a National Historic Site and has been designated Canada's 14th UNESCO World Heritage Site.
——————————————————
Long de 202 kilomètres, le canal Rideau est rendu navigable grâce à plus de 50 barrages, 47 écluses et 19 kilomètres de canaux artificiels. Construit de 1826 à 1832 dans le cadre de la stratégie de défense militaire britannique, le canal était une voie navigable sécuritaire reliant le rivière des Outaouais au lac Ontario et à la ville de Kingston. L'histoire de sa construction, de son exploitation, de son entretien et de son utilisation fait partie du patrimoine canadien.

Les inondations printanières causaient chaque années des dommages aux ouvrages du génie du poste d'éclusage de Long Island, situé à deux kilomètres en aval. Le barrage à cet endroit était fait de caissons de bois remolis de pierres et de poutrelles de bois. Ajouté au réseau du canal en 1858, il servait de soupape de sûreté, car

The Long Island/Watson's Mill image. Click for full size.
By William Fischer, Jr.
3. The Long Island/Watson's Mill
Marker is to right, just beyond edge of photo
il contrôlait le volume et le débit d'eau.

En 1859, des hommes d'affaires locaux, Moss Kent Dickinson et Joseph M. Currier, ont obtenu le droit d'utiliser l'excès d'eau afin de produire de l'électricité pour leurs moulins bâtis à proximité du barrage. Leur entreprise a entraîné l'essor du village de Manotick au détriment du village initial situé près des écluses de Long Island. Depuis, le barrage joue un rôle essentiel comme soupape de sûreté et source d'électricité pour le moulin. Il a été reconstruit six fois, les deux dernières fois en béton armé, soit en 1932 et en 1980.

De nos jours, les méthodes d'exploitation du barrage demeurent pratiquement inchangées. Les poutrelles de bois sont toujours soulevées et abaissées au moyen de treuils manuels montés sur des chariots que l'on déplace d'un déversoir à l'autre le long du rail. Le canal est maintenant un lieu historique national et a été le 14e site canadien inscrit au patrimoine mondial par l'UNESCO.

[Bottom sketch caption reads / La légende de l'esquisse du bas lit]
Sketch of the Rideau Canal by Colonel By / Croquis du canal Rideau par Colonel By
 
Erected by Watson's Mill Manotick, Inc., Parks Canada, and UNESCO.
 
Location. 45° 13.614′ N, 75° 40.96′ W. Marker is in Manotick, Ontario, in Rideau-Goulbourn Ward, City of Ottawa. Marker is on Dickinson Street just north of Mill Street, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 5525 Dickinson Street, Manotick, Ontario K4M 1A2, Canada.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Mill and Manotick / Le moulin et Manotick (here, next to this marker); The Long Island Mill (within shouting distance of this marker); Carriage Shed / Hangar à chariots (within shouting distance of this marker); Dickinson Square and Manotick / La Place Dickinson et Manotick (within shouting distance of this marker); Dickinson House / Maison Dickinson (within shouting distance of this marker); A Square for All Time / Un place en permanence (within shouting distance of this marker); Family Life / la vie familiale (within shouting distance of this marker); The Perpetual Challenge / Le defi perpétuel (within shouting distance of this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Manotick.
 
Also see . . .
1. Watson's Mill History. (Submitted on January 6, 2018, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
2. Watson's Mill, Manotick on YouTube. (Submitted on January 6, 2018, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
3. Rideau Canal National Historic Site. (Submitted on January 6, 2018, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
4. History of the Rideau Canal. (Submitted on January 6, 2018, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
 
Categories. Industry & CommerceMan-Made FeaturesSettlements & SettlersWaterways & Vessels

 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on January 6, 2018. This page originally submitted on January 6, 2018, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 132 times since then. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on January 6, 2018, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.   3. submitted on November 20, 2017, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.
Paid Advertisement