Fredericksburg, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
From a Burying Ground to a Park
In 1875, the town council decided to convert the increasingly neglected grounds into a park and directed the removal of headstones and graves to other cemeterires. The new park opened July 12, 1881, named in honor of prominent local businessman John G. Hurkamp.
In 1860, St. George's Church had petitioned the Council to investigate its claim to the property, but the Civil War interrupted this process. The issue resurfaced in 1953, when the Rescue Squad sought to lease a portion of the park. By then, public usage over several generations had established legal ownership. Hurkamp Park remains public.
Erected by the City of Fredericksburg, Virginia.
Location. 38° 18.106′ N, 77° 27.776′ W. Marker is in Fredericksburg, Virginia. Marker is at the intersection of William Street and Prince Edward Street, on the right when traveling east on William Street. Touch for map.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Corporation Burying Ground (here, next to this marker); A Memorial Landscape (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Fredericksburg Roll of Honor (about 400 feet away); Liberty Town (about 400 feet away); Masonic Cemetery (about 500 feet away); Auction Block (about 500 feet away); The Barton Street Potter's Field (about 500 feet away); Barton Street Confederate Monument (about 600 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Fredericksburg.
More about this marker. On the left sidebar is the following quote:
“On motion made and seconded, resolved unanimously that the new burying ground be enclosed with brick….”
Council Minutes of July 6th, 1824
Robert Lewis, Mayor (buried in the Masonic Lodge Cemetery)
Caption of picture in upper right: In 1883, John Hurkamp donated a cast iron gate bearing the name “Hurkamp Park” in raised letters. This circa 1900 photo shows this gate as well as the brick wall along the western edge of the park. The brick wall on the remaining three sides was removed in 1898. The metal
Caption of picture in lower left: John Hurkamp resided at 406 Hanover Street, from 1862 until his death in 1886. This ornamental cast iron fence and gate, which is still standing at the above address, bears Hurkamp’s name. Both this fence and the park gate were designed by Benjamin Bowering and cast at the Hope Foundry of Fredericksburg.
Also see . . . Replaced Marker. This link is the previous marker about Hurkamp Park's history. (Submitted on September 13, 2008, by Kevin W. of Stafford, Virginia.)
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on September 13, 2008, by Kevin W. of Stafford, Virginia. This page has been viewed 1,140 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on September 13, 2008, by Kevin W. of Stafford, Virginia. 3. submitted on September 24, 2007, by Kevin W. of Stafford, Virginia. 4. submitted on August 20, 2008, by Dawn Bowen of Fredericksburg, Virginia. 5. submitted on September 13, 2008, by Kevin W. of Stafford, Virginia. 6. submitted on August 20, 2008, by Dawn Bowen of Fredericksburg, Virginia.