Vicksburg in Warren County, Mississippi — The American South (East South Central)
Sky Parlor Hill
—Vicksburg Heritage Walking Trail —
Saint Paul Catholic Church
The original Saint Paul building, built in 1849, was damaged beyond repair by the tornado of 1953. The new Saint Paul building was completed in 1957.
Growing and Building
In 1894 Sky Parlor Hill was removed to build a new Post Office and Customs House for the growing city. William Alfred Freret, former Confederate soldier, designed the building along with many others including the Old Louisiana State Capitol in Baton Rouge.
Currently the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers Mississippi River Commission and Mississippi Valley Division use this building as their headquarters. The Mississippi River Commission manages the Mississippi River drainage basin that covers 41 percent of the continental United States.
Erected 2017 by the City of Vicksburg. (Marker Number 26.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Mississippi, Vicksburg Heritage Walking Trail marker series.
Location. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1400 Washington Street, Vicksburg MS 39180, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Missing Angels (here, next to this marker); Mercantile Explosion (within shouting distance of this marker); Willie Dixon (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Blue Room (about 500 feet away); Banks and Bottles (about 500 feet away); The Red Tops (about 500 feet away); The Vicksburg & Queen of the West (about 700 feet away); Frank Crump, Jr. (about 700 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Vicksburg.
Categories. • Churches & Religion • War, US Civil • Waterways & Vessels •
Credits. This page was last revised on March 31, 2018. This page originally submitted on March 25, 2018, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. This page has been viewed 188 times since then and 8 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on March 25, 2018, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.