A community built around water
Welcome to Waterford, Eastern Gateway to the New York State Canal System.
Dutch fur traders settled here in the 1630s, where Mohican families once forded the Mohawk River below the Cohoes Falls. By the late 1700s, sea captains brought their sloops up the Hudson River to trade at this flourishing port. The completion of the Champlain Canal in 1823 linked Waterford merchants with Lake Champlain and Canadian commerce. By 1825 canal boats were able to travel westward along the Erie Canal, the Great Lakes and the interior of America.
The historic village center, only a few blocks from the Waterfront, reflected the wealth that river and canal trade brought to this area. Many local industries were canal-related, such as boat-building and barrel-making, but local workers also produced shirts, collars, long underwear, stoves and Button Fire Engines.
Erected by Erie Canalway National Heritage Corridor.
Location. 42° 47.251′ N, 73° 40.774′ W. Marker is in Waterford, New York, in Saratoga County. Touch for map. Marker is along the waterfront, adjacent to the Waterford Harbor Visitor Center. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1 Tugboat Alley, Waterford NY 12188, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within
Also see . . .
1. Waterford Harbor Visitor Center. (Submitted on March 25, 2018, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
2. Erie Canalway National Heritage Corridor. (Submitted on March 25, 2018, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
Categories. • Industry & Commerce • Man-Made Features • Parks & Recreational Areas • Waterways & Vessels •
Credits. This page was last revised on March 25, 2018. This page originally submitted on March 25, 2018, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 70 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on March 25, 2018, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.