Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Near Garysville in Prince George County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Powell's Creek

 
 
Powell's Creek Marker image. Click for full size.
By Andy Walker, September 21, 2008
1. Powell's Creek Marker
Inscription. The creek nearby was named for Nathaniel Powell, acting Governor in 1619. Weyanoke Indian town was here. Nearby is the site of an old mill, known in the Revolution as Bland's, and later, Cocke's Mill. The British General Phillips passed here, May 1781. Here Grant's army, after crossing the James, turned towards Petersburg, June, 1864.
 
Erected 1948 by Virginia Conservation Commission. (Marker Number K 212.)
 
Location. 37° 14.874′ N, 77° 9.015′ W. Marker is near Garysville, Virginia, in Prince George County. Marker is at the intersection of James River Drive (Virginia Route 10) and Flowerdew Hundred Road (County Route 639), on the right when traveling west on James River Drive. Touch for map. Located in a marker "cluster" with Flowerdew Hundred marker (K 214). Marker is in this post office area: Hopewell VA 23860, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Flowerdew Hundred (a few steps from this marker); The Cattle Raid (approx. 2.1 miles away); Merchant's Hope Church (approx. 2.9 miles away); Westover (approx. 4.4 miles away); Westover Plantation
James River Dr & Flowerdew Hundred Rd (facing west) image. Click for full size.
By Bernard Fisher, April 29, 2010
2. James River Dr & Flowerdew Hundred Rd (facing west)
(approx. 4.4 miles away); Richmond Condita (approx. 4.4 miles away); Hood's (approx. 4.4 miles away); Ward's Creek (approx. 4.4 miles away).
 
Categories. Colonial EraWar, US CivilWar, US RevolutionaryWaterways & Vessels
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on September 21, 2008, by Kathy Walker of Stafford, Virginia. This page has been viewed 975 times since then and 20 times this year. Photos:   1. submitted on September 21, 2008, by Kathy Walker of Stafford, Virginia.   2. submitted on April 29, 2010, by Bernard Fisher of Mechanicsville, Virginia. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement