Donalds in Greenwood County, South Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
Greenville Presbyterian Church
Burial Place of
Erected 1935 by Kosciuszko Chapter, D.A.R. of Greenwood, S.C.
Marker series. This marker is included in the Daughters of the American Revolution marker series.
Location. 34° 21.05′ N, 82° 18.117′ W. Marker is in Donalds, South Carolina, in Greenwood County. Marker is at the intersection of Old Shoals Junction Road (U.S. 178) and Bell Road, on the right when traveling south on Old Shoals Junction Road. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 205 Greenville Church Road, Donalds SC 29638, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 10 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. The Donalds Grange No. 497 (approx. 3.1 miles away); Templeton-Drake Cabin ca. 1764 (approx. 3.1 miles away); Boonesborough Township (1763) (approx. 3.1 miles away); Ware Shoals Veterans Memorial (approx. 4.6 miles away); Benjamin DeWitt Riegel (approx. 4.6 miles away); Good Hope Baptist Church (approx. 4.7 miles away); Angela Marlow Newton Rev. J.I. Bonner Monument (approx. 5 miles away); Due West (approx. 5 miles away); Marion P. Carnell Bridge (approx. 5 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Donalds.
Also see . . .
1. Greenville Presbyterian Church. Regular religious services and social gatherings have been conducted on this site since 1773. (Submitted on September 27, 2008, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina.)
2. Greenville Presbyterian Church and Cemetery. This congregation began meeting on this site in 1773. (Submitted on February 19, 2010, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina.)
3. Find a Grave: Greenville Presbyterian Church Cemetery. Includes photos of 192 tombstones. (Submitted on February 19, 2010, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina.)
4. Greenville Presbyterian Church Website. This is the link to the website of Greenville Presbyterian Church for further information about their current activities as a congregation as well as additional historical and cemetery data. (Submitted on May 19, 2013, by Jonathan Bowling of Donalds, South Carolina.)
1. Greenville Presbyterian Church - National Register Nomination Form.(1998)
Greenville Presbyterian Church is located in a rural setting in Greenwood County, on state road 54 (Greenville Church Road), approximately .25 miles west of US Highway 178, in the vicinity of Shoals Junction and Donalds. Regular religious services and social gatherings have been conducted on this site since 1773. The church building itself has also been in continuous use since its construction in 1852, providing a place for worship and other religious and social activities for its congregation and community. Also present on the property and contributing to the overall historic character of Greenville Presbyterian Church are the small brick Session House, constructed to match in detail the sanctuary, a large historic cemetery, and a natural spring.
The church building, finished in a straightforward and unadorned "meeting house" form, however, basically Greek or Classical Revival in style, is rectangular in shape and measures 64' 10" x 46' 9". It is constructed of brick handmade on the site. It features solid brick walls sixteen inches thick. The foundation, also of brick construction, is approximately eight inches thicker than the walls. A Portland cement stucco was applied to the foundation during the early twentieth century, and is in need of repair or removal. The bricks are laid in a five-to-one common bond with a dirt/lime-based mortar. Since original construction
The principal facade (east gable end) is three-bays wide and consists of a central entrance with a double-leaf paneled door, approached by four stone or masonry steps with iron handrail, flanked by two six-aver-six, double-hung sash windows. On the upper or gallery level are three six-light windows. On either side elevation and near the front are single-leaf entrances to the church's narthex, and four large six-over-six,
The narthex is twelve feet wide with an eight-foot ceiling spanning the entire width of the building on the east end. Immediately above the narthex is the balcony, originally constructed with a three tier elevated floor. The three exterior doors open into this narthex and there are two doors opening from the narthex into the sanctuary. Just inside the narthex, on the north and south entrances, are stairs that lead to the balcony, originally made for and used as a slave gallery. The east facade double door is original with a hand-made hook-and-eye latch with a wooden lever to secure the hook into the eye. The narthex now contains a historical display case containing some artifacts and historical material. Among these are a handwritten sermon by the Reverend John Cunningham Williams as preached here in 1867, a diary kept by the Reverend William F. Pearson when he served in the Civil War as a chaplain for the Second Regiment, South Carolina Volunteers, a retired pulpit bible, as well as historical photographs. There is also a refurbished eighteenth
The sanctuary measures 52' x 44' with a ceiling height of seventeen feet. The ceilings of the narthex and sanctuary are constructed of hand planed tongue and groove pine boards of various widths, and they remain in excellent condition. The plaster walls, applied directly to the brick, remain in excellent condition, and are unadorned except for six stone tablets along the west wall, either behind or near the pulpit, that commemorate the service of former pastors, one stone tablet to the Scotch-Irish founders of the church, and one to the church members who fought and died in the Confederate army. The window sashes are of heart pine glazed with clear glass containing some imperfections giving a wavy appearance. The trim for the doors and windows is also made of hand-planed pine. Pulpit furniture, purchased in 1900, remains in use today.
A brick educational building was added to the rear of the building in 1952; however, it is connected by a narrow building which is recessed sufficiently from the side walls of the historic sanctuary, is lower in height and profile, and therefore does not detract from or overwhelm the original structure.
The Session House is located forty-one feet to the south and parallel to the church and is of the same style and material as the church. It measures eighteen feet
A large cemetery, located immediately across the dirt road and in front of the church contains graves which date from the eighteenth century, the earliest being 1777. Identifiable graves number approximately 1,200. Numerous markers, some purchased from the government but many private, indicate service in the American Revolution and Civil War. Many markers are signed by their stonecutters, inclusive of such names as Thomas Walker, John White, and W.T. White, all of Charleston. One, in rare fashion, even locates the White stonecutting operation on Meeting Street in Charleston. There are also a number of fieldstone markers, some of which are hand wrought and incised in a somewhat primitive fashion.
A natural spring is located some five hundred feet northwest of the church on church property. It is enclosed with cut granite stone, was used for drinking water as well as for baptisms, and remains in use today.
Greenville Presbyterian Church is significant for its broad impact on the history of the area known as Long Canes in what is now Greenwood County. The church, along with other Presbyterian churches in the Long Canes area, influenced
As early as 1765 the minutes of the Synod of New York and Philadelphia record a supplication from settlers in the Long Canes for ministers. In the l760s and 1770s, Presbyterian ministers, most from Pennsylvania, traveled to the Long Canes area of South Carolina and five churches emerged from their itinerant ministry. Among those churches was a congregation named Saluda. By 1783, definite boundaries were fixed between the several churches of the Long Canes area, as agreed by commissioners from each church. This agreement formally expressed the community's desire to make the area "Christian and, more particularly, a Presbyterian community."
Saluda church is believed to have been named so because many of its members resided near the Saluda River. When the church was chartered in 1787, Saluda changed its name to Greenville Presbyterian Church. The site for the church was located centrally in Boonesborough township which had been laid out in the 1760s for prospective Scots-Irish immigrants. The 1787
In 1852 the present church building was constructed, consisting of a sanctuary, gallery, and narthex. The church was built from bricks made on the site some 400 yards southeast of the church. The new building housed a congregation that had slowly, but steadily, grown from just a small faithful few to 147 members in 1847. The new church building allowed congregational life to blossom in the last half of the nineteenth century as a church school was established at mid-century and a Presbyterian Women's organization was founded in 1895. The Greenville Presbyterian Church building was no longer new as the twentieth century arrived but it was adapted to new technologies. In 1925 Coleman gas lanterns were installed in the sanctuary only to be replaced by electric incandescent lights in 1938.
The date the cemetery at Greenville Presbyterian was established is unknown. The earliest mention of the cemetery in church records appears in 1888, but the earliest identifiable marker is from 1777 and there are at least twenty-seven soldiers from the American Revolution buried at Greenville.
— Submitted February 19, 2010, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina.
2. Unveil Markers Today at Graves of
by Jim Oliphant
June 15, 1952
It's quite an event when descendants from 26 states gather in a country churchyard to pay tribute to a handful of men who fought in America's first war.
That's what is happening today at historic Greenville Presbyterian Church at Shoals Junction near Donalds in Abbeville County.
Markers at the graves of 33 Revolutionary War heroes and their wives will be unveiled by their descendants.
Today is the 46th annual Wyatt reunion, 190th anniversary of the founding of Greenville Church and a day of honor for those who sleep in this picturesque cemetery.
More than 200 descendants live in Spartanburg County and countless others in the Piedmont section. More than 30 from this county will take part in the day's program.
A tableau-pageant of 400 persons, all of them descendants of the Revolutionary War soldiers, will be a highlight of the program. Of this number 240 will be children dressed in white, wearing three-ribbon sashes of red, white, and blue.
Chapters of the Daughters of the American Revolution throughout the state and adjacent areas in Georgia will be represented.
Philip Willkie of Rushville, Ind., son of Mrs. Wendell Willkie and the late Mr. Willkie, is expected to be principal speaker. Mr. Willkie has
Another distinguished visitor for the day is expected to be Gov. Adlai Stephenson of Illinois who also has Revolutionary ancestors buried in the churchyard.
Gen. W.P. Shepard of Fort Jackson will pay tribute to the Revolutionary soldiers. Families will spread their picnic lunches in the nearby Roadside Park. About 2,000 are expected.
Greenville Church, sometimes called Greenvale, furnished 75 soldiers in the Revolution and 50 of them are buried here. At their graves shining white markers, official War Department ones, have been erected.
Though the Wyatt family first began the grave-marking project for 16 Revolutionary soldiers of their family, other allied families later joined them.
Leonardo Andrea of Columbia, chairman of arrangement for the day, said many Revolutionary relics will be on display and it is planned to raise money to furnish a memorial room in the new parish house which is being constructed at the church.
The Greenville Church was organized June 15, 1762 on the banks of Saluda River, moving later to the present site. It is deep in the tradition of the South and is known in many places.
When the late rev. J.M. Dallas, one of the pastors, wrote a history of the church, he told of how rigidly its members observed the Sabbath. He said that on Sunday there was no
A monument to theScotch-Irish pioneers is among many memorials in the church.
Beside the Wyatt clan here are families holding reunions today at the church: Agnew, Haddon, Johnson, Purdy, Stewart, Wardlaw, Brownlee, Jarvis, Miller, Richey, Swain, Wilson, Rasor, LaBoon, Pharr, Seawright, Sharp, Smith, Weir, Webb and their descendants.
Here are Revolutionary soldiers and their wives whose memory will be honored:
Sam Agnew and Elizabeth Seawright
George Brownlee and Sarah Caldwell
Samuel Cross and Elizabeth Finley
James Dunn and Agnes Agnew
Robert Hadden Sr. and Jane Ross Lindsay
Robert Hadden Jr. and Jean Seawright
Francis Johnson and Margaret Seawright
Samuel Pharr and Elizabeth Bailey
Christian Rasor and Sarah Sims
James Richey Sr. and Margaret Caldwell
James Richey Kr., and Elizabeth Dunn
John Richey and Nancy Ann Brownlee
Robert Richey and Nancy Ann Brownlee
Robert Richey and Mary Stewart Wier
Andrew Seawright and Mary Eleanor Dickson
James Seawright and Elizabeth McCullough
Edward Sharp and Eleanor
Moses Smith and Ann Cullom
Wyatt Smith and Elizabeth Sandord
William Stewart and Jennet Cladwell
John Swain, Mary Smith and Anna Mayne
John Wardlaw Sr., Elizabeth Coalter and Mary Liller
John Wardlaw and Jane Bowman
James Webb and Elizabeth Maxwell
Andrew Webb and Agnes
John Wier and Mary Stewart
George Wilson and Ann Richey
William Wyatt, Francis Newton and Elizabeth Snoe
Elisha Jarvis and Densilla Smith
Pierre LeBon (LaBonn) and Anne Gervais
William Millie and Margaret S. Johnson
The Rev. McGill is present pastor of Greenville Church.
Its windows look out across the old cemetery. Its tombstones are either shiny and white or aged and weather beaten, but few places hold so much significance in history.
— Submitted February 19, 2010, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina.
Categories. • Cemeteries & Burial Sites • Churches, Etc. • War, US Revolutionary •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on September 27, 2008, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 3,815 times since then and 60 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11. submitted on September 27, 2008, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina. 12. submitted on March 4, 2011, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina. 13. submitted on March 5, 2011, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina. 14. submitted on March 4, 2011, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina. 15. submitted on September 27, 2008, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina. 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32. submitted on March 4, 2011, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina. 33. submitted on September 27, 2008, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina. 34, 35, 36, 37, 38. submitted on March 4, 2011, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina. 39, 40, 41, 42. submitted on March 5, 2011, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina.