Winter Quarters Plantation
Winter Quarters Plantation was owned by Haller Nutt during the Civil War. The plantation was used as an overnight stopping point by thousands of Federal troops on their march to Hard Times. The first to arrive was Col. J. Keigwin's force, which spent the night of April 28, 1863 here.
Winter Quarters was the only plantation home of the fifteen along Lake St. Joseph left standing after the Union march.
Location. 32° 1.082′ N, 91° 9.96′ W. Marker is in Newellton, Louisiana, in Tensas Parish. Marker is on State Highway 608 3 miles east of State Highway 605, on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 4929 highway 608, Newellton LA 71357, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 7 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Linwood Plantation (approx. 0.9 miles away); Windsor Mounds (approx. 5˝ miles away in Mississippi); Windsor Ruins (approx. 5.8 miles away in Mississippi); Bombardment of Confederate Fortifications by Federal Gunboats (approx. 6.6 miles away in Mississippi); Paddle Wheel of the Confederate Transport Charm (approx. 6.6 miles away in Mississippi);
More about this marker. Is a State Historic Site, but is closed due to repairs.
Also see . . .
1. Wikipedia Link to Winter Quarters. (Submitted on July 1, 2018, by Cajun Scrambler of Assumption, Louisiana.)
2. Official State of Louisiana State page. (Submitted on July 1, 2018, by Cajun Scrambler of Assumption, Louisiana.)
Categories. • Antebellum South, US • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page was last revised on July 1, 2018. This page originally submitted on July 1, 2018, by Cajun Scrambler of Assumption, Louisiana. This page has been viewed 51 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on July 1, 2018.