Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Shellman Bluff in McIntosh County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

Sutherland's Bluff

»—1.5 mi. →

 
 
Sutherland's Bluff Marker image. Click for full size.
By Mike Stroud, September 20, 2008
1. Sutherland's Bluff Marker
Inscription. Sutherland`s Bluff, about 1.5 miles South on this road, overlooks the Sapelo River and the Inland Waterway. the site was named for Lieut. Patrick Sutherland, to whom it was granted, upon recommendation of General James Edward Oglethorpe, in recognition of that Lieutenant`s service at the Battle of Bloody Marsh.

At the beginning of the Revolutionary war, a shipyard was laid out at Sutherland`s Bluff, moulds were made at Philadelphia, and liveoak timbers were cut at the Bluff for the building of gunboats and four frigates for the Continental Navy. the British blockade of 1778 prevented the completion of the work.

In the late 18th and early 19th centuries, Sutherland`s Bluff was a regular stop for ships sailing the Inland Waterway, and a store and livery stable kept there for the convenience of outfitting passengers disembarking for overland travel.

In 1954, archaeological investigations disclosed evidence of ancient Indian and Spanish occupation of the bluff.
 
Erected 1958 by Georgia Historical Commission. (Marker Number 095-35.)
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Georgia Historical Society/Commission marker series.
 
Location. 31° 33.839′ N, 81° 19.489′ 
Sutherland's Bluff Marker at Shellman Bluff Dr. image. Click for full size.
By Mike Stroud, 2008
2. Sutherland's Bluff Marker at Shellman Bluff Dr.
a "Gated Community" seen in the background, the direction of the arrow on marker.
W. Marker is in Shellman Bluff, Georgia, in McIntosh County. Marker is on Sutherland Bluff Dr., on the left when traveling south. Touch for map. 7 mi E of US 17 on Shellman Bluff Dr. then bear right 0.7 mi , South of Fishermans Lodge Rd. Marker is in this post office area: Townsend GA 31331, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 6 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Old Belleville or Troup Cemetery (approx. 3 miles away); Mallow Plantation (approx. 3.1 miles away); Colonel John McIntosh (approx. 3.3 miles away); Captain William McIntosh (approx. 3.3 miles away); Baisden's Bluff Academy (approx. 4.5 miles away); John Houstoun McIntosh (approx. 5.8 miles away); Rice Hope (approx. 5.8 miles away); The McIntosh Family Of McIntosh County (approx. 5.9 miles away).
 
Regarding Sutherland's Bluff. the "Battle of Bloody Marsh".
Due to the efforts of Lt. Patrick Sutherland of the (old) 42nd Regiment of Foot and the Highlanders from Darien, the battle was a British victory, ending the Spanish claim to Georgia.
 
Also see . . .  From Wikipedia, Battle of Bloody Marsh. The battle took place during the War of Jenkins’ Ear, which comes from an incident involving a Spanish officer cutting off one of Robert Jenkins’ ears. (Submitted on October 9, 2008, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.)
Sutherland's Bluff Marker near old cemetery image. Click for full size.
By Mike Stroud, 2008
3. Sutherland's Bluff Marker near old cemetery
 
 
Categories. Colonial EraNative AmericansNotable PlacesWaterways & Vessels
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on October 9, 2008, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 1,127 times since then and 47 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on October 9, 2008, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement