Atlanta in Fulton County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
Prior to & during the 1860s, the road from Atlanta crossed this hill & via Montgomery’s Ferry, ran to Marietta in Cobb County.
Confederate forces crossed the river near the R.R. bridge, July 9-10, 1864, & camped on the left bank until the 18th when most of them shifted toward Atlanta on the old Marietta Rd. Enroute, they learned that Gen. Johnson [CS] had been relieved of the command & Gen. Hood had been appointed his successor.
Erected 1956 by Georgia Historical Commission. (Marker Number 060-86.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Georgia Historical Society/Commission marker series.
Location. 33° 48.602′ N, 84° 26.781′ W. Marker is in Atlanta, Georgia, in Fulton County. Marker is on Old Marietta Road NW 0.2 miles north of Marietta Road NW, on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Casey's Hill and the marker are at the very rear (west) of Crest Lawn Memorial Park (2000 Marietta Boulevard). Old Marietta Road and Maid Lane are closed off and accessible only through Crest Lawn. Marker is in this post office area: Atlanta GA 30318, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Atlanta's Outer Line (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Montgomery Cemetery (approx. 0.7 miles away); Montgomery-DeFoor House Site (was approx. 0.8 miles away but has been reported missing. ); French's Line (approx. 0.9 miles away); Johnston’s Army Crossed the River (approx. 1.1 miles away); Disputed Passage (approx. 1.1 miles away); Moore's Mill (approx. 1.2 miles away); Battle at Moore’s Mill (approx. 1.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Atlanta.
Categories. • Roads & Vehicles • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on February 28, 2009, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 1,142 times since then and 2 times this year. Photo 1. submitted on February 28, 2009, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.
Editor’s want-list for this marker. A wide shot of the marker and its surroundings. • Can you help?