Gettysburg in Adams County, Pennsylvania — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
“Four score and seven...”
Recorded by Peter Weaver from the back of the Wm. Duttera house (which stood here in 1863), this photograph depicts the crowds in the distant National Cemetery. Note the tall flagpole in the National Cemetery (center), with the distinctive gatehouse of adjoining Evergreen Cemetery appearing to the far left. Visible in the foreground is one of the "parking lots" for the ceremonies that day, as well as an excavated area most likely related to Duttera's brickmaking business.
The accompanying drawing portrays the Duttera house. Note the Confederate artillery shell which lodged in the second story of the building during the battle.
Photo copyright William A Frassanito. Drawing by Peggy Magaldi.
Location. 39° 49.175′ N, 77° 14.058′ W. Marker is in Gettysburg, Pennsylvania, in Adams County. Marker is on Steinwehr Avenue (Business U.S. 15) 0 miles north of Culp Street, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Gettysburg PA 17325, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. Culp Brothers Memorial (within shouting distance of this marker); A Tale of Two Brothers (within shouting distance of this marker); Gold Star Mothers Memorial (within shouting distance of this marker); Better Than a Tent... (within shouting distance of this marker); "The Great Peace Jubilee" (within shouting distance of this marker); Second Brigade (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); 136th New York Infantry (about 400 feet away); July 1, 1863 (about 500 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Gettysburg.
Categories. • Cemeteries & Burial Sites • Notable Events • Notable Places • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on May 16, 2009, by F. Robby of Baltimore, Maryland. This page has been viewed 1,530 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on May 16, 2009, by F. Robby of Baltimore, Maryland. 3, 4. submitted on July 20, 2014, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey.