Monroe in Monroe County, Michigan — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
General George A. Custer
Graduated U.S. Military Academy, June 1861.
Brigadier General Volunteers June 29, 1863.
Brevet Major General Volunteers Oct., 1864.
Commanded Michigan Brigade of cavalry at Battle of Gettysburg, and 3rd Division of Sheridan's Cavalry Corps.
Major General Volunteers April, 1865.
Commanded Division of Cavalry Mexican Border, 1865-6.
Brevetted through all grades from major to major general regular army for distinguished services at Gettysburg, Yellow Tavern, Winchester, Fishers Hill, Five Forks, and Appomattox.
Lieutenant Colonel 7th U.S. Cavalry, July 1866, which he commanded in Indian Campaigns 1867-1876, including Battle of the Washita, 1868; Expedition in Staked Plains, 1869; Yellowstone Expedition, 1873; Black Hills Exploration, 1874.
Killed with his whole detachment, at Battle of the Little Bighorn, June 25, 1876.
Location. 41° 55.093′ N, 83° 23.805′ W. Marker is in Monroe, Michigan, in Monroe County. Marker is at the intersection of North Monroe Street (State Highway 50) and West Elm Street, on the right when traveling south on North Monroe Street. Touch for map. This historical marker is located in downtown Monroe, on the southwest corner of the intersection of Monroe Street and Elm Street, along the northern bank of the River Raisin. Marker is in this post office area: Monroe MI 48162, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Major-General George Armstrong Custer (a few steps from this marker); George Armstrong Custer (a few steps from this marker); St. Mary of the Immaculate Conception (within shouting distance of this marker); First American Flag (within shouting distance of this marker); Historic River Raisin (within shouting distance of this marker); Monroe Street Bridge (within shouting distance of this marker); Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Indian Trading Post (about 500 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Monroe.
Also see . . .
1. George Armstrong Custer. This web link was both published and made available by, "Absolute Astronomy.com," in it's quest to enable "exploring the universe of knowledge." (Submitted on July 17, 2009, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio.)
2. George Armstrong Custer. The Official George Armstrong Custer website by Joseph Topinka, Living History and Civil (Submitted on July 17, 2009, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio.)
3. History of the George Armstrong Custer Equestrian Monument. On July 4, 1910, then President William Howard Taft and Elizabeth Bacon Custer unveiled the statue to commemorate George Armstrong Custer, who spent much of his early life living in Monroe. The statue was located in the middle of the intersection of East First Street and Washington Street. This was during a time when automobile traffic in Monroe was very light. However, with the increase of automobile traffic, the statue's location in the middle of an intersection warranted protests as a traffic hazard. On June 20, 1923, the city moved the statue out of the Old Village to a less prominent location along the River Raisin, where it remained until it was moved again in August 1955 to its current location on the other side of the river from the Old Village (Submitted on January 1, 2019, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
Categories. • Heroes • War, US Civil • Wars, US Indian •
Credits. This page was last revised on January 1, 2019. This page originally submitted on July 17, 2009, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio. This page has been viewed 2,009 times since then and 10 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on July 17, 2009, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio. 6, 7. submitted on September 25, 2009, by James D. Harvey of Seville,, Ohio. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.