Near Powhatan in Powhatan County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
Cumberland County / Powhatan County
Area 293 square miles
Formed in 1748 from Goochland, and named for the Duke of Cumberland, second son of King George II. The earliest call for independence came from this county, April 22, 1776.
Area 273 square miles
Formed in 1777 from Cumberland and Chesterfield and named for Powhatan, the noted Indian ruler. Many Huguenots settled in this county, 1699-1700. Here Robert E. Lee spent the summer of 1865.
Erected 1947 by Virginia Conservation Commission. (Marker Number Z-50.)
Location. 37° 28.733′ N, 78° 7.537′ W. Marker is near Powhatan, Virginia, in Powhatan County. Marker is on Old Buckingham Road 0.3 miles west of Evans Road, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Powhatan VA 23139, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 9 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Derwent (approx. 3˝ miles away); a different marker also named Cumberland County / Powhatan County (approx. 4.7 miles away); Cumberland County Court House (approx. 6.6 miles away); First Call For Independence Jackson Davis (approx. 6.7 miles away); Mosby’s Tavern / Cumberland Old Courthouse (approx. 7.8 miles away); Campaign of 1781 (approx. 8.6 miles away); Dunlora Academy (approx. 8.7 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Powhatan.
Also see . . .
1. Cumberland County, Virginia. (Submitted on March 30, 2010, by Bernard Fisher of Mechanicsville, Virginia.)
2. The Official Site of Powhatan County, Virginia. (Submitted on March 30, 2010, by Bernard Fisher of Mechanicsville, Virginia.)
3. Powhatan, Virginia. (Submitted on March 30, 2010, by Bernard Fisher of Mechanicsville, Virginia.)
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on July 27, 2009, by Bernard Fisher of Mechanicsville, Virginia. This page has been viewed 818 times since then and 10 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on July 27, 2009, by Bernard Fisher of Mechanicsville, Virginia.